Hyper 21 8 port ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by lillightingboy21
Also i just read in another thread that the 8 port doesn't like to keep a tune and you have to adjust it everytime out.
Could be they had the carb that Ofna recalled. I have no problem keeping a tune with my 8port.

I had 2 different Hyper 8 port engines & one of them couldn't hold a tune for poop. After reading some posts, I was advised to put on an OS 20E carb. It runs like a totally different mill, & holds a tune better than any mill I've ever owned.
Another trick when breaking in a BigBlock motor, is to loosen the glowplug just a tad to start it easier. Once running, tighten the plug back up. Worked very well for me...

yes the OS 20E is a good idea. I think if I was going to buy a new 8port and the OS 20E I would just watch e-bay for a good deal on a diff. engine. That mod with engine would be around 200.00 and I just got a new in box Rex P5 for 240 so I would save 40 more and get a better engine.

yup I've red alot about the hyper 8 and alot of moans about the carbs but out on wednesdays, which is quite right why should you buy a new engine just to replace the carb? a bit stupid if you ask me, should have used the extra cash for the os carb and got a better quality made engine as RB, OS or similar.

Last edited:
well, i have had nothing but luck with my 8 port.. granted.. the weather change does affect the motor.. also.. another thing to consider.. when tuning the 8 port with the ofna carb on it.. just turn the needle.. a hair.. not 1/4, or 1/10 of a turn.. i turn mine less than 1 hour on the clock.. or max of 1/12 of a turn..

So guys do you think that this is a good motor for the price and for the little problems it has? Also with the carb that comes on it will it still run decent???? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Come on guys i need a reply on this.......is this engine truly worth it everyone that owns an 8 port or has owned an 8 port what is your overall statement of it. Also if that engine isnt worth it, what engine is worth it? I'm only willing to spend under $200. And if you give me an engine that is worth it give me who makes it,and what is the name of the engine. Thanks!!!

Teh 8 port is a good motor.. i think that Ofna has fixed their carb problems.. and the motor will perfom well.. you will be pleased with the perfomance.. and speed

Thanks for all of your info dgrobe2112. Seems like you really enjoy your 8 port. I think i am gonna get one.

its fast.. and for the price.. can't beat it..

Sounds to me that i just found myself a new engine. :)

I have a Hyper 8 Port in my Savage and I love it. The stock carb on mine was a POS. I found a great deal on a used OS 20E carb and it was like I had a whole new engine.

After you have purchased the engine you can fax your receipt to Ofna and they will send you a new pull starter free of charge. I already did this and thankfully I did because I managed to break the orginial one.

Breaking this engine in will be a little fustrating. You can either heat the engine up with a heat gun or just loosen the plug up a fuzz, start the engine and then tighten the plug. I did the glow plug trick and it worked for me.

Thanks mcvickj. I dont have a fax machine but do you think if i just sent the receipt to them they would give me a new pull start?

Originally posted by lillightingboy21
Thanks mcvickj. I dont have a fax machine but do you think if i just sent the receipt to them they would give me a new pull start?

It is possible. Go to a place like Kinkos or Office Max. They have public fax machines.

Ok i will do that. I was just thinking about that and my friend down the street that i drive with has a fax machine. But who and what is the fax # that i have to fax it to and what elsle should i say to them i know i should tell them my adress, name, zip, state and alll of that stuff.

Ok. Here is a quote from SkyMaxx in a different thread...

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
ock clutch bell on my Hyper 21 8-Port without any problems. If you want more top speed, then go with a larger clutch bell (16T works just fine), but you will lose just a bit off the low end in the torque department.

Gloves are a must for the first couple of tanks. Either that or hands of steel as this thing will blister your hands easily from all of the pulling.

Someone already addressed the pull start issue. I have broken and repaired mine several times (both at home and in the field). The spring is weak near the center point. If you still have the receipt from the engine purchase, Fax a copy of it to Steve at Ofna (Fax Number: 949-586-8812) with a little note explaining that your pull start broke and you would like your one free replacement. They will ship it soonest. Either that, go buy a spare now, or get proficient at repairing pull starts (as I have become).

Next, don't rush the break in. The settings are extremely rich to start, but as you start tuning it, you will see great leaps in power and performance as you lean it out.

Finally, Have a freaking blast. The engine rocks, and I know you will like it.

Here is the link to the thread...

Ok thanks. Ummm i have a quick question wear the throttle linkage hooks up to the carb( it is the thing that is like a ball joint). How do you get it off.

I agree, the Hyper 21 8p is a great engine. I ran mine for a long time with the stock carb OK, but as the piston started to wear, it developed a mid-range bog that I couldn't tune out. I had an old OS rgxp, and put its carb on, and it was better, but that really isn't necessary. Get it and you will be happy. For break in, use the heat cycle method of heating it up to 200 F, start and run for 1-3 minutes, stop and let it cool completely down. Adjust the carb to maintain 200 f and drive around under 1/2 throttle.

I got about 5 gallons before I had to get a new sleeve.

To get the ball cup off, just rotate it gently with needle nose pliers, and it will pull itself off the ball.

And about the pull starter. The string is too long, so the spring bottoms out before the string runs out. This will break off the end of the spring. You need to shorten the string about 2-3 inches, and take a turn or two off the spring preload on the pulley.

Last edited:
Thanks.... I think I'm gonna go and get my lightning and take the engine off and clean it. Also one more question i dont have a header hook tool and last time i took of the header the pipe spring started to bend a little. ( i used needle nose peliers) Is there any other tool i can take it off with easier. I'm gonna buy a pipe spring tool in the spring but how can i get it off without needle noses?

Back