HPI Savage 25 STEERING SUCKS please help!!! :-(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alberto.grassi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hallo You savage owners!
Long story short: I bought a savage 25 2nd hand and noticed that while running medium high speed the wheels didn't steer properly, infact the trucks was going almost straight anyway. set up trims in the radio didn't help.
Therefore: I tightened servo saver (cam type), bought Marathon 5 cells 6V pack, bought SAVOX 1257 servo (10kg/cm, 70 euros with Ti gears) and:

while stopped the truck turns the wheels on the ground, while it didn't before with the SF-2 stock servo. The steering capability is got a little better but:

just a little. While running full speed it doesn't turn like I would. Then: either the servo or the servo saver or both are not working. I raised up the truck, accelerated, and while at full speed the wheels turned with very slow time and difficuulty, even if there was no friction with the ground. So. the gyroscopic inertia of the wheels alone was towering the servo.

Any comment? Is the savox 1257 servo not enough? Shall I get the 24Kg/cm Hitec new ultra torque Ti gears digital f*****g servo and hope? Shall I get the integy or golden horizon aluminium servo saver? HELP GUYS I AM LOOSING HOPE.

Last edited by a moderator:
their is a few mods u can do for better steering.one the servo saver plastic bushings get rid of them and put sealed ball bearings in their place.then i put a hight torqe steering servo in like 150oz or bigger.i run jumbo kong tires on mine and need a 300oz servo to turn.then u can try a nova or golden horizen servo saver but u should be fine with just upping your servo

Hang in there, the Savage steering definently sucks from the factory. If I converted right, your servo is just under 140oz which is still a bit low for a Savage. That 24kg would be super,333oz.

I'd step up your servo as soon as you can afford to. It'll make driving much more enjoyable

I run a JR DZ8550 (188oz/in @6V or 13.54 kg/cm) in my savage and it does just fine.

I'd venture to guess anything 160 oz/in (11.5 kg/cm) would work much better for you. Sure, going with the 333 oz servo would work... but spending $80 vs $120 may be an easier pill to swallow.

I've run the hitec 985MG's with really good success as steering servos on both my XTM mammoth and my revo. It runs around 172oz (12.39kg) and is around $70.

I use those now as t/b servos on my savage and aftershock due to the fact that they are fast, strong and o-ring sealed (I run in damp conditions a lot) and really like them. They seem to be lasting quite some time. I probably have over 2 years worth of running (including winter/snow/slush months) on both and they still work great.

Thank You friends,

so You all suggested me that:
10kg is not enough, therefore I am buying the Hitec 7955 TG of 333oz/in
replace bushings with bearings, and that is what I will do.

As for the integy / horizon aluminium saver, is it worthy or not really? From Your answers it seems as if it is not a relevant upgrade. If so, I wouldn't spend money for nothing... I was thinking of changing the spring of the saver and put the heavy duty one in order to obtain a quick response of the wheels. Then the steering should be OK, I hope!!!

Any more comments or suggestions?

Back