HPI rs4 3 EVO+

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherryelky305

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Disclaimer: I'm sure seasoned people see nothing special here, but its my first car. Stock for now until something breaks

I'm new to the forum and picked up my car yesterday. Being new i felt i should add some to the forum. I'll do a review of the car if anyone wants it (granted its my first RC car ever) but I'll try.

Here she is!

DSC_3848.jpg

DSC_3842.jpg

DSC_3840.jpg

DSC_3843.jpg

DSC_3845.jpg

DSC_3847.jpg

DSC_3846.jpg

I got everything pictured plus:
Fuel bottle
gallon fuel
glow igniter
battery for car and remote
charger for car remote and glow igniter

total came to $465. good price? I would like to know if i got ripped off, lol. Thanks and In a weeks time a review could be posted in this thread.

Nice. Might be stock, but you're having fun. I've been doing this for many years, and I still own a mostly-stock RS4-3. I just like to run the street with it. No need to make it crazy since I run alone. And it's still perfectly fun!

HEY, that's my car, I mean the car I want to get. I think you did fine on the price and do post up some reviews. Nice rig!:yes:

HOBBY TOWN sells them for $309, who did you buy yours from?

HOBBY TOWN sells them for $309, who did you buy yours from?

HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+ with Subaru Fujitsubo Impreza RTR (same car different body) $299.95 + shipping from RC Planet ( http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Nitro_RS4_3_Evo_w_Subaru_p/hpi10075.htm )

HPI Nitro RS4 RTR 3 EVO+ Touring Car (Ford '66 Mustang GT) (exact same car as yours) $304.99 + shipping from A Main ( http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_45/products_id/20041 )

*These were posted just as a reference to help answer your "good price? I would like to know if i got ripped off" question.

I got mine from a local hobby shop/Track in springfield ohio. called fasttraxx. they have a web site i forget what its called though.

Nice. Might be stock, but you're having fun. I've been doing this for many years, and I still own a mostly-stock RS4-3. I just like to run the street with it. No need to make it crazy since I run alone. And it's still perfectly fun!

I hear that! I still have my RS4 3, no crazy hop ups, just a few essentials, and I still love ripping mine around a parking lot.

Congrats on your new car and new addiction! I love that Mustang lid and vintage rims, your car looks great!

Nice

That looks pretty good. I am also a beginner in the RC world.

I ordered the same car, with the Greddy 350Z body, and will be picking mine up tomorrow morning. I really cannot wait to tear up the street with it.

I had a few questions though...
How much were the chargers for your glow plug and remote?
What nitro% fuel are you using?
Just an altogether, how do you like the car?

I will post some pics here tomorrow also. Maybe even give some box opening photos.

the glow igniter comes in a kit with the battery and charger, i got a team losi one. in the remote I'm using AA's right now, it doesent really eat them that fast. I got rechargeables for the starter and car, the starter battery was $33, its a 7.2 volt 6 cell pack.

running 20% fuel

I like the car alot, tough for me to tune though.

Mines down right now as it lost its mind and ran into a pole at full throttle, somethings wrong with the front diff but i dont know what.

I need help with that, I can't see anything wrong with the hardparts, but i dont know if it should be packed with grease or just coated with grease.

Alright, I will have to check on the batteries and glow plug. I was considereing starting off with 10% or 15% fuel to start off with until I ge everything under control and work my way up to 20%.

I will mess around with some tuning tomorrow and if I find anything good I'll put it up here.

Sucks to hear about your diff. If I remember, I will ask the guys at my lhs to see if they know anything.

Hey,

I feel like a total newb, but as I was breaking in my engine the motor locked. After I ran through one tank, I couldn't get it started again for the second tank. Primed the engine, glow igniter in place and then when I used the roto start to get it going, the piston locked up at the bottom of the cylinder. I have tried moving the flywheel to move the piston, but it wont budge. I drained all the fuel from the motor to make sure it isn't flooded.

I need help. What else could be the problem?

Have you removed the glow plug to see if there is anything obvious? Locking at the bottom of the stroke is pretty odd? If it is at the bottom I'd pull it out of the car and tear it apart to see what goes on.

Thats what I was thinking of doing. I have never done this before, is it relatively easy?

uh oh, not good.... not anywhere near good. I think that my carb might be a lemon because when I ran through the first tank, the throttle was fully open and this is what happened... :(

2659067487_07355235c8.png

I will be sending in my motor back to HPI tomorrow. Hopefully it falls under warranty, if not, $65 will get me a brand new one.

that sucks. Mine has the throttle sticking open issue too. I made it through break-in so the motor is fine, it just takes off and slams into the hardest thing it can find. I think I'm gonna change servo's receivers and radio's to see if that helps.

Found a major issue with the design of the car. The throttle servo over extends the throttle and actually pushes the motor around when going full throttle. You need to check it and apply foam behind the trigger on your remote so you can't go to far. I believe this was causing some kind of throttle sticking issue.

I think i am going to get upgraded servos, and radios.

uh oh, not good.... not anywhere near good. I think that my carb might be a lemon because when I ran through the first tank, the throttle was fully open and this is what happened... :(

2659067487_07355235c8.png

I will be sending in my motor back to HPI tomorrow. Hopefully it falls under warranty, if not, $65 will get me a brand new one.

thats why i only use pullstarts. I'm betting the rotostart caused that in combination with a new & flooded mill.

I've found a flaw in the design of my car, the rs4 3 Evo+. Not sure if it will be seen in all, but it showed it self to me.

the servo for the throttle is able to move to far, it actually pushes the motor around and causes several binding issues (sticking throttle?) The only free fix is to not pull the trigger on the remote all the way back, or put foam behind the trigger.

My LHS says they can order a remote and servo kit for $170, includes a new type of signal that wont get intereference from power lines.

On the good side I found a place that makes hard aluminum pieces to replace plastic bits that bend and flex (aka most of the suspension pieces)

I would like to devise a way to get more ground clearence out of this car, and make it a rally car, able to drive on mild dirt tracks. any idea's? I'm willing to try about anything to be able to take it on road, change some parts and then go to a dirt track and play around.