HPI NMT new motor / New Rims??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aciddream

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought a used HPI Nitro MT and I think it's time for a new engine. My LHS keeps pointing towards the O.S. 15 cv-rx
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/dyno_15cvr.asp
I was also told os was releasing a .18 cv-r, would that drop in??

I'm strickly a backyard basher so is it too much to try and find/make a .18 fit?? Anybody ever done this before?

Also does anybody know if they make 2.2 beadlocks?
Hub compatability W/ other trucks (maxx-savage??)
any preglued that people have had good luck with??
I need a new set of tires and rims shredded the hubs in one of the tires he provide (proline Mashers). Thanks guys sorry for so many questions
( I'm 2 months new to RC and constantly recruiting!!!!)

If it's true that OS is releasing an .18 CV-R, it'll probably most likely be the same motor the Duratrax DTX .18 is (made by OS). OS are great engines, and never a problem in tuning, I have a .15 CV-X and it pulls the higher horsepower HPI .12R SS off the bottom.

An EPIC .18, XTM .18, Siiro TX18 are good choices, but if you get an engine with a side exhaust try and get a tube header for it.

Monster truck tires are too big for the NMT's suspension, I've been looking for bigger tires to fit on the 2.2 rims myself.

Thanks Kuma, I'll wait and check for the price of the .18 and start comparing prices of one's listed. I'll have to stick with a pull start but hey I got a new tube header, the opening where it mounts to the engine looks a lot smaller I might dremel it to a better transision.

I had a set of the Pro-line Mashers (not the mashers 2000) the overall diameter was about 4.5" on a 2.2 rim. you can see what they look like in my Gallery.

Yeah, those are pretty much the tires I've been looking for, the MT needs more of a monster truck look than a stadium truck look. :D As you can see if you look in my gallery, I added an OFNA wing and will throw in a .21, with bigger tires I'm certain it'll be more stable and fast. :clap:

Sweeeet
Love the wing!!! Looks like a hybrid buggy/MT I likes!!
Yeah If i go with another set of mashers I'm gonna find some better offsett rims, possibly some by HPI.
Since you've installed a .21 have you shredded any differentials or damaged and organs?? I've got the link to Kedar NMT tips

Haven't put the .21 in yet, but I'm going to get hardened bevel gears, I've already got CVDs and slipper clutch with steel spur gear. I'm currently running a .15 CV-X (for the winter) and also have a Picco P15 rear exhaust. I read Keder's site too, good stuff in there.

:n00bie:
Like the smilies say I'm new to this. so if I stick with the .15 I should use a standard crank? So if i step up to a .18 would a standard crank still be appropriate, or a sg I need to find more info on crankshafts?!?!

my friend droped a epic .18 big bore straight into his t maxx w a little shaft modification....man that thing was pulling wheelies durning break in....until it stripped the tranny gears..i would say the 18 would put a little or alot more power but i dunno if it is worth it

Motor for HPI NMT, Shaft problems?? What'll fit?

Well It's definetly time for a new motor for my Nitro MT, the 15fe is dead and I need more power, my problem is I don't know what fits how. The shaft sizes/types are a little confusing to me. I do want to stick with a pull start since I'm only a back yard basher.
I figured a .15 would drop right in like the os 15 cv-rx
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXBHL2&P=K
But a .18 is just too tempting for a little more $$ like this epic
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXERB6&P=K

I don't know what will drop in, or what shaft type I need, I know a .21 is probably too much + cost of conversion kit.
Any good offroad engine around $150 would be good??

So what shaft type would I need to drop a .18 in and flywheel from epic or other???? If I wait for the O.S. .18 what shaft type will I need to get it to drop in. I'm only using a single speed.
thanks any and all feedback would be super helpfull

You should be able to use the stock flywheel and clutchnut from the 15FE if you get an engine with standard long threaded shaft. The Epic .18, HPI .18 SS, Fantom FR18'03 are nice engines that'll drop in, but the OS engines are cheaper, good power and reliable- I have an OS .15 CV-X and it idles like a dream and has tons of torque.

:madface: :madface: :madface: :madface: :madface:
Thanks Kuma, I keep pulling towards the cv-r also, The power of a bigger engine is tempting, but if i go big I mine as well go for a .21:drool:

aciddream going 21 in the NMT can be very expensive due to the fact that the original NMT wasn't built to handle it. IMHO it was built to handle a motor with .7 Horse power and you are going to put something in it that will most likely have a minimum of 2.0HP if not more. Not discouraging you, but you will need more brake, better diff gears and most likely stronger dogbones.

Acid dream I am running the Proline masher 2k's as well and love them. This is the biggest tire I have been able to find for the NMT it really gives the truck the monster look. I have put a fantom FR15 in it and love the thing. Not the most horsepower but given that the NMT is such a brittle truck to begin with I didn't want to go bigger. I might in the future try an 18 for it. I dunno I am stoked with my truck for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
aciddream, do me a huge favor. Do not keep starting a new thread with the same topic. Yes, I noticed that this one included a bit about rims, but I do not want to see anymore duplicate threads or semi-duplicates from you. Thanks.

-SkyMaxx

:flaming: Excuse me
Next time I'll make sure to start a thread about rims.
A thread about shaft types.
A thread about engine talk. If there's a way a user can delete a thread they started please let me know.
Anyway thanks newnitrofan, I was kinda getting that feeling after checking out Kedar's NMT http://www.kedar.itgo.com/tipz.html
I'm going for the OS .15 and thinking about turning it into a street maching after I get a Savage kit. Check out the NMT for the street
http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/html/mt.html

Given that the truck sits on the RS4 chassis a street machine is very viable. You may at least want to upgrade the shock towers so you have some different tuning options. I still want to get a two speed for mine and put some pro-line road rage tires on it. I don't imagine you could put a set of touring car tires on it should be too small. Maybe you will need the ofna rim adapters from him. Idunno good luck with it though. The NMT is a very fun truck.

Aciddream, that street NMT on the Wolfpack Radicals has OFNA 1/8 scale rim adapters on the hubs, I was considering getting some of those but I think the NMT goes better with its standard 2.2".

:cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful:
Hey Kuma
I noticed you had a steel spur gear how much and where'd ya get it, any disatvantages.
Where's a good place to get spur gears and clutch bells for the NMT. I looked on Tower Hobby but didn't have too much luck besides the stock 52 tooth. LHS doesn't keep too much in stock for NMT. I did have a 11 tooth clutch bell to compensate for the masher tires but the teeth came loose from the housing. As of now it's out of commission (and freezing outside) so I'm stocking up on stuff to work on / think about, etc.
Thanks

Got some from gimpys_racing on ebay, he sells 49t and 52t steel spurs, they work in slipper clutch and 2-speed transmissions. steel is better for alot of things, they don't get chewed up easily and is perfect for my .21 conversion.

Back