HPI Micro vs. KYOSHO Mini-Z

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentHunterKellen

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What is the diffrence. I am intrested? Why is there a price diffrence that is so big?

Mini Zs are fun but have limited upgrade possibilities.
Micro RS4s have a lot more hop-ups available and are built more like a full size RC rather than a Radio-Shack toy.

I have both and prefer the RS4.

if you ask nice i will post some pics.

Yeah, the micro rs4 rocks, Mine is now all carbon and aluminum, except for about 6 parts.

Talk about hop ups, a buddy of mine has one with a 540 motor and 6 cells. He gets about one good run per set of foamies. It's ballistic. You just can't stuff that kind of motor in a Mini-Z

Ok Eddy, here it is, my not quite stock micro rs4:

acura_front1.jpg

acura_front2.jpg

acura_side.jpg

acura_rear.jpg

micrors4_top.jpg

micrors4_bottom.jpg

micrors4_front.jpg

micrors4_rear.jpg

Whooooooooweeeee
Nice looking rig. Great photos as well.

I guess I've been schooled.:shrug:

I've been out done. Ill post pics in the AM. I chose to go about mine a bit differently.
Again, nice rig.

Thanks Eddy, it is pretty sweet. I like the NSX body, it's wide as hell, but it handles like a dream. Most of the aluminum is Golden Horrizons, and the carbon is Ratzas. Team Orion power and ESC. Stock radio though. When I get another Rx for my JR I'll put it in the micro (still have the programming, but the Rx is in my old savage). I run on weathered concrete most of the time, so I still run the stock rubber. The funny white things are some dense closed cell soft foam (some kind of packing) that is about 1/8 inch thick. It really makes the micro quiet when running.

Thanks again.
Whitt...

Here are a few shots of my Micro in progress.
I took the RX out for my CyberMaxx and still haven't decided on what rear deck and VSC to use. I also need to drag the roto tool out and trim all the extra alum off the front bulk.

micro1.jpg

micro2.jpg

micro3.jpg

micro4.jpg

micro5.jpg

micro6.jpg

Last edited:
Very sweet. That's what makes the micro rs4 so cool. Both of these cars are mrs4's, but they are almost totally different.

Eddy, why isn't there a micro rs4 sub forum in the electric onroad section?

Is that a Ratzas chassis? And did your aluminum upper and lower bulks fit ok? Mine didnt, exactly. They fit good and tight on the bearings, but the hinge pins wouldn't seat all the way. I had to bore out the holes with a twist drill, and now they are very snug, but smooth. Mostly took off the ano in the holes.

As for the rear deck, the Ratzas one with the big shock that mounts on top of the deck is very sweet, also necessary if you ever drop in a 380 or (God forbid) a 540. There is another one out there that has dual vertical shocks in the rear. If I find a link to them I'll post it.

Whitt...

The chassis is made by EXO. I'm not to sure why I got it but it seems to function well. I will get the ratz deck as soon as I get finished with all the other projects I have in the works.

The bulks fit fine. I still need to cut the extra aluminum off the top. Using the stand-up micro servo eliminates about half the bulk.

I have found a great forum dedicated to 1/18 scale.
http://one18th.com/
They are a great group of guys and the forum is much like this one. Friendly.

I think I was on there when I was building my rs4 (pre-savage). The micros were popular here for a while, but right when I got into it, they were becomming pase. My buddy Phil just outbuilt mine and I'm not even going to race him. He's the guy with the custom 540 conversion micro. That thing is just an abomination. Crazy fast and it eats tires like pez candy.

EXO, forgot about them. I was gonna get one of the fan equipped Team Orion chassis, but I couldn't find one at the time.

I don't know if the micro is gonna make a comeback here, but I think that they are just plain cool. Crap, forgot to give you the link to how I did that "hit and run" video.

http://www.error401.com/rs4/multimediaindex.htm

The pix are before I did most of the upgrades on my micro. Got the cam from www.plantraco.com

Whitt....

I've read it, but thanks for the effort. When are you going to finish it? It was looking very good.

A couple of years ago I got my dad the midwest steam launch with the engine and boiler. We have a place in the country with a 2 acre pond and I was going to r/c the launch. It's still in the box and dad won't let me build it. My stuff, your stuff, very territorial about his stuff.

Back