How much do you spend on RC on-line???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30%NitroBoy

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whaddup guys,

I'm curious how much buisness you guys give to the big faceless net companies like Tower (I don't necessarly mean faceless in a derogatory way but they are..lol). Lately the two hobby shops that are my fave are beating Tower and other big online retaliers like Servo City on everything. I always c good deals on Tower from time to time but both of those LHS's will match any net price so I guess I'm done shoppping for RC on the net for the most part.

Peace

I've never ever bought anything online........mainly because I don't have a credit card, or a paypal account, but even if I did I probably still wouldn't shop online, same way with my LHS's if I can show them a cheaper price on a part on the net they will match it no questions asked, but really no matter, I get discounted prices already anyway............nice to have friends in a small community LOL

I've bought all my RC stuff from Tower, Acehardwarehobbies, Hoppy People, my local LHS and Horizon. Mostly tower. Total of $3500 to date.

Originally posted by Road Rage
I've never ever bought anything online........mainly because I don't have a credit card, or a paypal account, but even if I did I probably still wouldn't shop online, same way with my LHS's if I can show them a cheaper price on a part on the net they will match it no questions asked, but really no matter, I get discounted prices already anyway............nice to have friends in a small community LOL

Your telling me bro, My LHS gave me an awesome painted (red), fully trimmed and decaled Ferarri Enzo 1/10th body just for saying "thanks for all the years of buisness". Not to mention that youcan always go right back to the LHS for whatever problem and many warranty problems.

Peace

Well, unlike you two, i don't have a hobby shop that isn't filled with old guys who complain about questions. And they are constantly trying to get you to buy the most expensive thing in the store. Even after dropping $400 on a new max plus another $500 on a xxx-nt and it's parts after 8 months of beating the crap out of it.

I tried staying away from the internet to buy, but considering i have to drive 45 miles to the closest shop and get very sub-par help, it just isn't worth it. I've learned more here and on forum sites like this than the old farts at the store has ever told me.

Don't get me wrong, i don't have anything against old guys, but not everybody is from the suburbs driving a 90,000 suv to buy their 8 year old $1500 worth of stuff. Some of us actually know what a wrench is and when we are getting the screws put to us.

Sorry about the ranting. JMHO

Although, i did find i nice store in Elmhurst, IL. Al's hobby shop. Those guys are really helpful and give you advice on what is good, not just expensive.

All in all, i've probably dropped about $2000 at actual stores and another $2000 on-line. But i will say the $2000 on-line has proven to get me allot more stuff. Keep in mind this is over the course of a year, but still it's allot of $ to me.

Yeah I have to agree with olds a little bit. I tend to get more bang for my buck online and no one talks back to me. Besides I don't have to call ahead of time to ask if they actually have the part in. Most of the time when I go into my local hobbytown I ask if they have the part I am looking for they look at me funny than I have to go and find the part myself. However that's just been my experience there. Later

Hey guys,

WEll I must be a lucky mofo in this relativel big city. Both of my two favorite hobby strores are honest to a fault (they'll reco the cheaper thing very often or tell you not to buy something all together, friendly as they get...even after one mundane question after another that they here all day from 10 year olds...lol and their prices kick ass.

I'm fortunate to live in a big city though and yes, if I had to drive all the way hells--n-bells to listen to some grump ole fart I'd be buying everything from tower.

Peace

Last edited:
I am just getting into the Hobby and have spent a considerable amount online already. The Local Hobbyshop is usually alot more expensive than buying online. HPI SS Kits 330 can get it for around 250 online. The guys are not the most customer friendly bunch either...

I like to use my LHS whenever possible. On big items, it really erks me to pay $20-$30 on sales tax. Buying online w/ shipping is sometimes better than paying the retail price + tax.

Sometimes, it just a matter of availability. If the LHS doesn't have it, they have to order it. I have to wait. So it's easier and cheaper to just buy it on ebay or something have have it shipped directly to me.

It's a sort of mix for me. I try to use the LHS as much possible because they need the support. I do, however, buy a lot of stuff online (mostly ebay).

-Rob

Most of the stuff I've bought recently has all been from Ebay. The two LHSs near me have a mix of stuff available at any time but never when "I" need it. So rather than wait a few days for them to order it and remember to call me when it comes in I'd rather just go online or ebay and have it shipped next day.

To date I've spend about 50% online 50% at the LHS....

I have spent more at my lhss than online. They will usually come through with a good price. My favorite handed me a can of paint when I left his shop on Sunday and refused to take my payment for it. Of course I had just spent $100 on gift cert. and I had asked him to order another lid.

Originally posted by Chewy078
I am just getting into the Hobby and have spent a considerable amount online already. The Local Hobbyshop is usually alot more expensive than buying online. HPI SS Kits 330 can get it for around 250 online. The guys are not the most customer friendly bunch either...

WHER IN THE HELL CAN U GET AN SS KIT FOR 250$ I WANNA KNOW!!!!!!!

i buy about 80% from the internet, and 20% from lhs. mainly because my lhs's dont have the stuff i need.

bryan

i have two lhs and ones a hobbytown, they have fewer parts and things but really cool employees, they really know r/c stuff but are working at the wrong store, the other is a full on "r/c shop" and they have anything and everything r/c and the only cool guy there is the manager the rest of the guys there treat you as a wallet needin emptying.
I'm only 14 and I've only had a t-maxx for about 3 years and only been seriously running it for 2 so i ask a load of questions everytime i can tlak my mom into taking me across town to the shops, so some of the guys doent really like me, while others give me tips and try to help me out
i bought my t-maxx via tower and have done the rest with the lhs in town, but I'm about to make a large order from tower to get my maxx up to par.

bashmaster, check out www.rcboyz.com . There prices are better than Towers and they are good people to deal with.

I live on the outskirts of a "major metropolitan" area. I drive thirty miles each way to work in Seattle. On the way I pass two "okay" hobby shops. There's a better one over in Tacoma and although it's not on the way I went there for the first time a few weeks ago and I think I'll be going back. I was pretty impressed by their inventory.

You can call me lazy but it sure is nice to order parts from my computer while my ass is sitting in this nice upholstered Costco manager's office chair.

I bought the T-Maxx at an LHS along with a few sundry hopups from there and another LHS. More purchases, however, were made on line. I'll say 65-35.

cool thanx a ton

P.S. i really dont like tower but they are big enough so that i know there a legit company
or mabye I'm just paranoid.... probly

Back