Home Maintenance Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey Fellas-

Could use some ideas/advice on a little home project I need to knock out before it gets real cold.

We have a small fountain in our front flower bed. Problem is, the only exterior outlet we have is on the opposite side of the front walk-way. I have an extension cord running from the outlet to the fountain pump and it crosses the walk-way right in front of the step. I tried burying it in cement a year or so ago, but after the first snow, I hit it with a snow shovel and it literally just crumbled.

Personally, I could care less about the extension cord showing, but for some reason my wife thinks it looks tacky and wants me to conceal/bury it so it "blends in" better with the walk-way and front porch.

Anyhow, I'm really not sure the best way of doing this that'll last or require me to rent a concrete saw to cut a groove to put it in. Knowing the creativity level of you folks, I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Use a pvc pipe small enough for the wire to go through, I would go ahead and make a groove, and use pvc piping, and then cover it back up again. Then you’ll have a tunnel you can run the wire through and other stuff in the future.

Just my 3.98576 cents
iconduh18te.gif

How deep is your slab? If its not too deep you could tunnel under it.
Is there a gap between the house and the landing? You may be able to wedge the wire between the house and the landing.

Or if you would rather make it more convient,you could install another outlet,but that's a pain,my suggestion would be to cut a piece of cement out,drop the wire,pour some new cement,put a sealant over it,or just pour a complete batch of cement to create a new walkway,to make it look nice if you have and scars or cracks that your wife might not like.

I've had to do similar tasks many times installing telephone cable for sbc ...either get 1/4" pvc & cut the end at a 45 degree angle dig the dirt on either side of the walkway at the narowest point & work the pvc under the walkway while twisting it ..it may also help to have a hose running at a trickle into the pipe from time to time ..OR

if your own a drill (I'm sure you do LOL) at the home centers you can get a small drill / auger that comes with i belive a 4' rod witch can be extended with more rods for longer jobs

I installed my own sprinkler system on part of my lot. I had the help of an experienced person at this.

Get a piece of PVC pipe, about 3 feet long (slightly longer than the width of your walkway), PVC pipe glue a threaded end on it that accepts your garden hose, attach the hose, turn on water pressure to high and it will hydro drill itself right under your sidewalk. When done, leave pipe where it drilled and use it as a conduit for any future wiring. We drilled this way underneath my entire driveway for both sprinkler pipes and wiring conduits.

I would get one of those garden arches, CA some fake vines to it and zip tie the cord over the arch. Looks good, just don't use the orange extension cord. ;) Geeez, talk about rigging something up and calling it a day! Pass the beer pleeeeease!

Last edited:
Revo Rancher said:
I installed my own sprinkler system on part of my lot. I had the help of an experienced person at this.

Get a piece of PVC pipe, about 3 feet long (slightly longer than the width of your walkway), PVC pipe glue a threaded end on it that accepts your garden hose, attach the hose, turn on water pressure to high and it will hydro drill itself right under your sidewalk. When done, leave pipe where it drilled and use it as a conduit for any future wiring. We drilled this way underneath my entire driveway for both sprinkler pipes and wiring conduits.

When I installed cable tv this is how I ran my wires under a sidewalk...Works great.

Got Nitro? said:
Or if you would rather make it more convient,you could install another outlet,

Thats what I would do.
Do you have access to the interior wall?

If yes, I would move the wires and make another receptical.
If not, use an under ground rated romex (most cases it's black)
and do the PVC trick.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the tips, fellas! I think I'll give Revo Rancher's idea a try! I've got the PVC and what not, so we'll see. If it doesn't work, for whatever reason, then I think I'll just suck it up and add a receptacle outside.

Failing any of those, Diver's idea will be implemented and I will ask Andy to make me a huge RCNT.com banner and make that part of the arch! Sure, the wife may have an issue with it, but I don't see her ass out there tunneling under slabs and/or electrocuting herself! If it comes to the arch idea, I'm not gonna give a rats ass what she thinks it looks like!

Like I said. If you do go under the cement, use an underground rated wire.

Monkey Wrench said:
Failing any of those, Diver's idea will be implemented and I will ask Andy to make me a huge RCNT.com banner and make that part of the arch! Sure, the wife may have an issue with it, but I don't see her ass out there tunneling under slabs and/or electrocuting herself! If it comes to the arch idea, I'm not gonna give a rats ass what she thinks it looks like!
I'd pay to see that! The funny thing is, I got that idea from an uncle. He actually did it and it still stands as is to this day, 5 years later.

Back