Holy poop the NEW Thunder Tiger S3!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the chassis, I think it starts out flat and they put it in some sort of mold press that just punches out the shape. Probably the same amount of machining with one more step to put the bends in it in the press.

olds97_lss said:
As for the chassis, I think it starts out flat and they put it in some sort of mold press that just punches out the shape. Probably the same amount of machining with one more step to put the bends in it in the press.

I bet that's it! But how do they do it when the bottom of the chassis is still one piece? Must be like aluminum oragomi or some poop. Now I am really wanting to know how the hell it is done!

Thanks Olds, now you got my brain hurting..........

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the revo... this one actually looks like its many pieces welded together.

Who knows...

well being a machinist, lemme help shed some light on it. the chassis is all 1 piece of aluminum. you can tell by the machine marks and fillets. it could have started in any of 3 likely forms depending on manufacturing cost. they are solid billet (cheapest to start with, but most expensive machine work), channel aluminum (mid priced for material and manufacturing), or forged blank (by far the strongest, most expensive to start with, least machining cost since only cleanup of the chassis is needed for holes and location points) thats what i see from looking at it. if i would guess it would be made using the second method. they can have aluminum drawn with the hole down the length of the chassis (since its clearance for drive bones, not precision) and just cut around it to get thier chassis. this saves a lot of tooling cost and machine time for a small additional cost of the raw material.

It's extruded, like the frames on windows, siding, some doors there is alot of everyday things that are extruded. plastic, aluminum, steel. I make parts at work out of extruded stainless steal.
Introduction
The process of extrusion is simply forcing a billet of metal through a shaped die to produce a continuous length of constant section similar to the die profile. Lead was the first metal to be extruded as pipe in the early 19th century. (J.Bramahs patent in 1897) The extrusion of copper really initiated the extrusion process as a high production process

There are two basic extrusion processes , Direct extrusion and indirect extrusion. Direct extrusion is by far the most widely used process. Indirect extrusion more efficient and produced higher quality products.

Materials and Sections
Aluminium and copper are most often extruded as complicated sections and pipes. Virtually all metals and allows can be extruded. Extrusions can be solid or hollow. Extrusions can be tapered or stepped by manupulating the die during the extrusion process.

Equipment/ Process
Extrusion presses are generally hydraulically operated and the process is generally completed in a horizontal elevation. An extrusion press can have a capacity of over 200 MN for extruding stiffer metals such as titanium or steel. Hot metal extrusion involves preheating the billet prior to extrusion to reduce the work required to extrude the section.
here is the link were I found this info.

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Manufacturing/Extruding.html

Last edited:
its nice- ill give it that. i got to drive one a couple of months ago and didn't know they weren't [publicly] available at that time. maybe i should have asked.

i said its nice but i like my mugen better. the ttr seemed a little twitchy and unpredictable but would really settle into a corner like a slot car. sometimes it would hold the line- other times it wouldn't. see what i mean by unpredictable? flight was super stable but occasionally on landing the car would get a mind of its own and veer to the left or right (more guessing) so the driver had to be on top of things. everyone has their own likes and dislikes on any given subject and I'm sure there is no better buggy for some. for me? ill take a mugen or k-car any day.

while all of my complaints can be blamed on car set-up; i really dont think this was the case. after all- this was a sponsored drivers car and it was on his home track so i would think it had been 'played with' a good bit before offering to let others take it for a spin.

its a very good-durable-reliable buggy. its just not for me.

Damn, thanks for the knowledge, both of you.

lumpy said:
It's extruded, like the frames on windows, siding, some doors there is alot of everyday things that are extruded. plastic, aluminum, steel. I make parts at work out of extruded stainless steal.
Introduction
The process of extrusion is simply forcing a billet of metal through a shaped die to produce a continuous length of constant section similar to the die profile. Lead was the first metal to be extruded as pipe in the early 19th century. (J.Bramahs patent in 1897) The extrusion of copper really initiated the extrusion process as a high production process

choice #2, glad i guessed that one :ninja:

thanks for the more in depth explanation on the process. what i know about it is just from the stock i get to work with and basic theory behind it.

I saw that in a Magazine day before yesterday. That thing is Fn awsome. I'm thinking of getting one very soon. Just look at the chasis braces. They are part of the chasis it self, and it is a milled chasis. Makes me drool. That thing has to be awsome!

i was the first guy to call ace and preorder...so I'm first on the list...the street price should be around 500-550...as said earlier..it is an extruded aluminum chassis...with internally adjustable shocks...super lightweight..and has virtually no chassis flex...they come out early november..so..i have a lil bit of a wait..but i dont really care

Hey Repete,

Post some pics when you get it!

damn...i saw that thing and my mouth just dropped...it's that amazing.

that just might be the buggy i been looking for, but a kit might make my little noobie brain hurt. wanted to start with a rtr buggy but that thing looks sweet! :doh: :confused:

When and where is it going to be available? I'm having trouble finding info of any kind on it.

I think someone said Acehardwarehobbies will have them in November?

I couldn't find much there yet, but it is only September.

I'll keep an eye out though.

yea thunder tiger didnt have anything at all about it. any 1 try to email them? I'm not sure how long i can wait. lol. i want a buggy bad!!! i like my losi xxx-nt but i want something stronger to jump.

When I saw the chassis it reminded me of the extruded and milled monster GT chassis. Then I was reminded that the mgt is made by thunder tiger! Ahh, its a company design philosophy. It will definitely be stiff.

I have a feeling that if I see one first hand, that means I will have one in my stable. LOL!!!!! Seriously!