Hobao VS2 vs TLR Tuned Typhon?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmerk

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Was wondering if anyone has experience with these RCs

Wondering how they compare in performance and durability

TIA

IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2314.jpeg

Both are dated platforms that are roughly 3-4 generations behind current industry standards. The TLR tuned option offers some recent updates making it a pinch more competitive since it offers more tuning options but it's splitting hairs to say one car is definitively better than the other.

I'd say both are a wash between durability and performance.

If you really want an RTR that is closer to modern industry specs then I would consider Caster which offers C Hubs which I feel are a more durable design and easier to drive. Both HoBao and ARRMA offer pivot balls which I have grown to dislike over the years. If I were to buy an RTR for myself today, this is what I would get:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4322447-BUILD-REVIEW-Caster-ETO821

I no longer race Caster and have switched back to HB Racing, what I found was that Caster was designed for low grip conditions and my lap times were a couple tenths off pace in high grip conditions which is why I went back to HB.

1692279507344.png

Thank you sir for all the info

I don’t have anywhere to race at the moment but I’m hoping to in the future

I’m on a budget so looking for best bang for as little as possible

Take your time before you make a decision, I've covered key areas that need to be upgraded on the Caster and those upgrades will save you money in the long run.

I would try to find similar review threads that go into the nitty gritty for HoBao and ARRMA. Just remember that you will always get what you pay for.

When you get into 1/8 cars, the parts will typically wear out and need to be replaced before anything breaks, and those long term maintenance costs can add up fast, so compare pricing for parts before you make your final decision.

With that in mind, the only brand on the market which currently offers a 50% lifetime warranty is TEKNO making them arguably the least expensive brand to maintain over the long haul for someone without a sponsorship deal:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

I have no affiliation with any of these brands, just giving honest feedback.

* Best bang for the buck of all RTR's on the market when you factor included electronics, wheels, etc goes to Caster

* Least expensive brand to maintain due to 50% warranty which will save you money down the road goes to TEKNO

* Most durable, easy to drive and arguably best deal if you can get a sponsorship goes to HB Racing ( I am biased on this statement because I'm currently sponsored with HB)

Last edited:
I have had my VS1 for years and I love it.
That one was first in line on my wish list for a 1/8 scale buggy. Only had it on wish list 'cause it could be had in an ARR (almost ready to run) package that would allow me to use/buy what electronics that I wanted.
Both are dated platforms that are roughly 3-4 generations behind current industry standards. The TLR tuned option offers some recent updates making it a pinch more competitive since it offers more tuning options but it's splitting hairs to say one car is definitively better than the other.

I'd say both are a wash between durability and performance.

If you really want an RTR that is closer to modern industry specs then I would consider Caster which offers C Hubs which I feel are a more durable design and easier to drive. Both HoBao and ARRMA offer pivot balls which I have grown to dislike over the years. If I were to buy an RTR for myself today, this is what I would get:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4322447-BUILD-REVIEW-Caster-ETO821

I no longer race Caster and have switched back to HB Racing, what I found was that Caster was designed for low grip conditions and my lap times were a couple tenths off pace in high grip conditions which is why I went back to HB.

View attachment 170169
It will be a difficult decision for me to buy a pillow ball platform again. My only experience with pillow balls is on my truggy where I run it in very dusty conditions and they need constant attention. It's funny that you mention about the pivot balls, and now I see HoBao's Hyper VS2 moving to that setup. The original Hyper VS has C-hub front suspension.

Last edited:
Thank you sir for all the info

I don’t have anywhere to race at the moment but I’m hoping to in the future

I’m on a budget so looking for best bang for as little as possible
1/8 scale buggies are tanks of the RC world IMO. Any of the latest platforms should be great, and very versatile as people ("bashers") will modify them into many different "critters". Every brand has their pros/cons. Just do your research. I'm sure you'll have great fun with whatever buggy you choose. Just a note with RTRs... don't expect top notch durability/adjustability with the electronics that are included.

Back