Help NEWBIE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalny

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I'm thinking of buying a koi savage xl 5.9 or .something but I was wondering what I should watch out for and hints and tips to driving it. And also what to watch in terms off breaking or wearing out quickly.
Thnks to all that do reply cheers!!

---------- Post added at 6:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:42 AM ----------

And also upgrading and HPI SORRY AUTOCORRECT

Well let me politely steer you away from the HPI 5.9 engine. Bigger is not always better. They have had a good bit of reliability issues. The LRP .28 Spec 3 and the Picco P3 .28 are both WAY better engines. More bottom end torque and higher top end speed....more reliable, easier to tune....I mean what more to want? I like the idea of the BIG engine but have tried them and was a touch disappointed.

Hang on are you saying put a different engine in it or a whole different car?

---------- Post added at 8:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:01 AM ----------

Whole new engine or whole new car?? Need all the suggestions I can get?

What hes saying is the 5.9 which comes on the XL has had many issues. Most wont even tune well enough to shift into 3rd gear so if you dont want to have to buy a new engine right away i would recommend going with the savage x to start with. you can always turn it into a XL

I don't think Joey answered your specific question, but directing you to an upgraded engine for the XL (and even to those engines) is sound advice.
I've never run the LRP, but several guys here speak highly of them. While I don't have a Picco 28, I run their 26's and they make a quality product.

The Savage in any form - is at a minimum - a really good truck.
Mods can change it into a great truck.
What mods are dependent upon which version you're dealing with and what's on the truck that you are running.

One of the cool things about the Savage is that it has a flexible design that can drastically change the characteristics of the truck.
For example - starting with an X and being able to upgrade it to an XL (and back).

There's also a lot of product support out in the marketplace for this vehicle.

Would there be any better nitro rc trucks that would I be better off buying instead of the savage (i wont be racing it i live in the bush in AUSTRALIA) Cheers.

if i got that would you put a LRP engine in it or keep it stock, anything that needs to be upgraded on it, for bashing not racing.

savage x 4.6...is what you want...

thanks that car sounds more reliable but do i keep stock engine or upgrade it?
Anything else that should be upgraded on it?

I just got my Savage X 4.6. I have broke in the engine and just now starting to lean it out a bit....It is a wheelie machine. Engine is a breeze to tune and is just a flat out blast to drive!! 2 things I recommend upgrading/adding is the aluminum HPI tuned pipe (neighbors won't like it) and the wheelie bar attachment. You'll surely need the latter of the 2 when you get it broken in and tuned correctly.

I am also thinking of adding the sway bars does anybody have these on yet and if so do they work well?

the X in stock form is a great truck, run the engine til it breaks and then buy a new one.

Yep.

You'll want to customize it (or any truck you buy) anyways.
Use the stock engine through it's life cycle and spend the savings on other upgrades.

What in the group's opinion would be a good price for a savage 4.6 RTR? I looked around a bit and they seem all over the board.... Maybe due to pre-installed upgrades? Just curious.

What in the group's opinion would be a good price for a savage 4.6 RTR? I looked around a bit and they seem all over the board.... Maybe due to pre-installed upgrades? Just curious.

New or used?

New, I was just browsing online. Seemed to find stuff ranging from $399 to $1200....

I just got mine from tower Hobbies. They had a $25.00 promo code AND Free Shipping. I bought a quart of nitro and the truck $442 shipped I think!

I would agree the savage in any form is a great truck. I have the XL and love it! I love the 3 speed transmission the 2.4 Ghz radio aluminum diff cases and bulletproof diffs that come factory on it. Wasn't much on the 5.9 engine but the Ofna Force .32 that I have in it now is awesome! There isn't much on the Savage trucks to worry about as far as breaking things. They are pretty much the toughest trucks on the market.

New, I was just browsing online. Seemed to find stuff ranging from $399 to $1200....
$1200 holy **** thats alot of money there in australia for 400 to 600 and thats still quite a bit here

I have a K4.6 in my Savage and I love it. I also have a brand new 5.9 on my work bench, but the 4.6 is so fun. Really don't have time to break in the 5.9 either.

i ordered the sway bars for mine but havent got them in the mail yet to install, and after today its going to be a while longer before i get to install them after i have to rebuild my front end.

Back