Helicopters

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisherman

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello all i have come to ask your advice on which helicopter i should purchase, i know nothing of them but would like to start learning. I have done a search and found a little on what I'm looking for, but decided to start this thread to further expand my not so large knoledge. I am wanting to start with an electric, so i can gradually learn and later get into gas. i have looked at tower, i would only like to purchase a RTF so that i can learn on an already assembled heli then i should know what all the components are. I would just like for u to let me know if any of these are a good start for someone like me. iv read that one electric RTF came with a controler that the sticks were switched and would only like to get one that would resemble a controler similar to a gas one. Sorry if this is a waste of a thread but thought id try and get some info on what I'm looking at i really wouldnt like to spend over 400$ i guess Just LMK, heres my list, and sorry for the long essay, lol

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHEH0**&P=ML

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJDJ1&P=ML

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGLK6**&P=ML
I think thats all i found Please feel free to share wht ever you think about all of this. Thanks!

Before you buy a heli and damage it on the first charge, you need to buy the RealFlight G2 simulator for your computer.
It will run about $200, but it comes with a 6 channel controller for the USB port.
It's loaded with airplanes and helis, both electric and nitro.
Trust me on this, it's the best investment you'll ever make if you really want to fly helis.
When I got my Century Falcon .46 nitro heli, I was REALLY nervous trying to hover a thousand dollar toy. The second time I took it to the field, I stopped at the LHS and bought G2.
The next time I went to the field with the real one, I had no fear, and did no damage.

I have heard of those i didnt know it came with a controler and all, i just figured a electric would be easy to starta nd fly i guess i was thinking wrong well ill look into it. Hey does hower sell them? Man i wish i was older and had my own creditcard cuz my parents are gonna flip out and never leet me get one. O well ill just go to the lhs with cash then they can't say anything. Hey then i can do the sim ulater for a couple years and master it, then later buy a real one.

Hey i just checked tower and all their stuff is discontinued, o well I'm sure uknow where to get something, thanks a bunch rolex, i figured ud be the one to help me out and all and i really owe it to u.

Take a look at Ebay. Someone just mentioned that G2 is going on Ebay for about 175, since G3 is out now.
Avoid G3 unless you really have a super computer. It's extremely CPU intensive, and too many buyers can't get it to run.

Rolex is right (don't let it go to your head). Step 1 should be a good workout on a simulator. They are far from easy to fly. As proof, I should take a picture of my trash can in my work area. There are a few tail rotors, a pair of main rotors and landing gear in there now. One thing is to make sure you buy a chopper that you can get parts for. If you really want to get a feel for what's available and what has good replacement parts, go to www.helihobby.com and scope out a few of theirs. Fast Eddy just bought a Zoom a few weeks ago. I have a Mini Dragonfly. You may also want to consider a few others like the Century Hummingbird, the Piccolo, or the Corona. If you want to check up on what people think is a good beginner copter, check out the forums at rcgroups.com or runryder.com

Candyman said:
Rolex is right (don't let it go to your head)
It went to my head. It even made my ears twitch.

Speaking of twitching, electric helis are actually more difficult to control than a nitro heli. The weight and size of the nitro version makes it more stable, and makes the movements smoother. They are also FAR less susceptible to breezes and wind currents. I also have a 7 channel computer radio, and can adjust the rates and exponential to my liking.
You can also adjust that within the G2 program, and edit the heli to behave any way you want it to. Easy hovering, or totally radical 3-D flying.

Man this sounds like alot of money, i will definitely pursue this more but i think for now ill just get the basic info on the net and read up on stuff now and take it step by step, where did u get ur dragonfly? idk ill jus rsearch around, i think i was just getting really excited and all i think id be alot better if i had someone like a reallygood friend in the area to teach me, thats the sucky thing about living in boony alabama, what ever ill go talk to the guy at the lhs and just take it slow so i can learn and save money,lol thanks guys if i have any more Questions conserning this stuff i ll just come back to this thread.

Hey i was on tower and saw the g3 and it looked nice but after hearing what others had said about it i think ill pass especially if I'm gonna be giving them 200$ it better have imaculate reviews. Hey i got it all planned out. I'm gonna sell all my curent rc stuff and get a savage 4.6 kit and this boat, man an i syked, ill look into the simulator thing later on when i have ths money.
Heres the boat http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBTC2&P=7
Hey do u think i should get this one or the rtr one I'm gonna check all this stuff out. I'm really excited I'm getting into the other parts of the rc world and not just staying in the vhicle section man am i gonna have lots of fun. Thanks to all who helped me get into this stuff, i greatly appricieat it.

Look for G2 on Ebay. It's a lot cheaper since G3 came out, but G3 isn't going over very well since it still has too many bugs in it. G2 will run very well on most computers, and ALL the 'fixes' are already available on the KnifeEdge site.

ok, sounds good thanks, I'm gonna go check it out over on old flea bay.

Hey does this one look clean and is it hte kind i would want to get?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19164&item=5961665660&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Also another pesky Question are airplane controlers and heli controlers layouts the same and all? Some of my friends have a electric airplane that I'm sure they would let me borow, so would that be a good start just to get used to flying in the air? The plane is just one of those small rtrs u can find at the lhs but I'm sure ill have fun with it.

It's been sold, but that was an EXCELLENT deal at $120 with an add on disc.
I paid 239 for just G2 new. Add ons are about $30 each, but many variations of planes already in the program are available on the site.
Note: If you buy one used, the previous owner needs to contact Knife Edge and 'sign off' on his registration number. You then need to contact them to register. It's not a big deal, but they are EXTREMELY protective about their software.
Check out the Knife Edge web site. They also have Real Race. That's basically the same kind of program, except it's for R/C cars, and comes with a wheel controller.
If you can get G2 anywhere near that price this one just sold for, jump on it.

Ok sounds good, ill keep checkin and all i may try to talk to the hobby shop ppl to get some more info on this stuff too, thanks!

Find out if there's a flying field or club near you. Stop by on a nice Saturday afternoon and ask around. Most of them will have G2, since flying is just as addicting as driving R/C, and with G2 they work on stunts, or get to fly on a cold or rainy day.

Yeah there is a flying field here i have a friend whos dad is just getting into helis and hes having one of his friends who knows about them train him to fly. The dad already does plains and is a member of the flying field. Not exactly sure where exactly it is but i guess i could call up my friends dad, dont really know him that well but o well.

Oh and the hobby shop guy here is really nice the one that is the manager of the place its a hobby town usa not really great but i think he can help me out the thing is that their prices area really jacked up and they never have anything on sale, o well ill just ask around and all.

I was meaning to mention that. Hobby shop prices are high, so what you do is get all the info from them, but buy it on Ebay, or from someone at the flying field who's stepping up to G3. G2 is excellent, but G3 has better background graphics. The additional graphics require a high end system.

o yeah thats waht iv done with my vhicle stuff just get the info from them and the necesities like fuel and get the rest on tower. iv never bought anything off of ebay but my mom has and she only buys the buy now stuff but yeah, hey u never know i may find someone around here i could buy one for like at the flying field or somfin.

Back