Gs storm buggy any good?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satanic savage

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi. I am thinking of buying a new nitro buggy in a while, as an addition to my savage ss. I've heard alot of mp-777 and mugens and so on, but i am not looking for a pro. i want a RTR wich is durable out of the box. i can spend about 400$ - 500$, so i am thinking of a Gs storm rtr.
Is it any good?

the storm is tough!!! ask wannarunem.. he was sailing that thing sunday.. we jumped a 1:1 car!! with it!!! the arms are strong as hell.. he keeps snaping the heads on the screws instead of the arms!! but we are VERY hard on our rides.. you will see soon enough.. he jumped that car and landed on one rear tire.. all he did was snap the screws that hold the a arm.. and poped the cap off a shock.. removed the screws and replaced them and put the shock back together and were ready for the garage next week!!! pm him and ask him hes got a sts 28 on it and it flyes.. the only weekness I've seen is ths rear chassis support is poorly designed.. its a ball and cup that will pop off and alow the rear dogbone to pop out.. but its easly "fixed" with a longer screw and a washer and nut.. the pro chassis is alot stronger then the rtr one though

Thanks for the info! It's exactly what i needed: someone with hands on experience with a storm. I'll get one in a few months (plus some spare screws :)
I saw a storm at rcpics.net and it was pictured wits an Jr Xr2 or Xr3. Is this the radio included with the Rtr? and if not, what is?

Thanks for the info, i made choice!
:cheers:

I made MY choice.... :doh:

watch the video on the thread "a sunday bashing" go toward the end of the posts to were i posted that is the fastest download link.. that is a storm jumping a car.. all he acually broke was the 2 screws that hold the rear arm "like i said earlyer" check it out

satanic savage said:
I saw a storm at rcpics.net and it was pictured wits an Jr Xr2 or Xr3. Is this the radio included with the Rtr? and if not, what is?

Thanks for the info, i made choice!
:cheers:

The "original" Storm came with the JR XR3 radio. The "new" storm does not, although the radio that comes with the 'new' RTR is still an FM.

Mr T

for the money, u can't beat a mayhem. even the storm while its good, it does have its drawbacks. like the dinky radio (they dont come w/xr3s anymore), weak chassis and towers, hingepin pickups, and lazy steering servo. while stron points are the motor, strength, and easy to work on. its an old design that will slowly get replace when CL1 replaces the storm pro later this yr.

i'd look at a mayhem or jammin x1rtr, of the 2 the mayhem has the radio system and the motor, the jammin handles just a tick better and has good support from ofna. both shaft starters (storm has pullstart-all of them can use starter boxes).

just .02

-Ult

btw, my 2 cars.....storm pro and SUT pro

beason said:
the storm is tough!!! .. the only weekness I've seen is ths rear chassis support is poorly designed.. its a ball and cup that will pop off and alow the rear dogbone to pop out.. but its easly "fixed" with a longer screw and a washer and nut.. though

I've done a few mods and yeah thats the weakest point on my car now.......the little basterd keeps popping off on those hard landings. I guess I'm gonna get the hop up rear brace to stop it. Putting the bone back in is a pain in the ass...not hard to do..but just a pain. If we werent so hard on our stuff...it wouldnt be a problem.

I have the Storm as well,decent buggy, the new RTR2 has the crappy FM radio and servos. The one with the JR equipment is better on the radio end. But the 2 has a FEW improvements over the one with the JR radio. All that said, I lean to the Mayhem over the Storm, but either will do fine.

Allright, i'm getting a storm in a while. Nobody here in Holland (Europe) has a mayhem, so the storm would be the obvious choice.
Thanks a lot for the replies and links :cheers:

One thing to consider is the availability of cheaper hopups for the storm because it is an older design. Lots of high quality firioni, storm pro, and dynamite parts can be found for discounted prices and in shops that are making room for new inventory.

i like the radio set up it came with .. does it still have the jr radio stuff with it ?

no, the dinky bt-1 'beta' FM radio. have 1 sittin next to me on the floor that i use as a AA charger. loox like a nikko toy radio, slow servos and a bulky Rx by 2day's standards. no more JR stuff.

-Ult