gpedit.msc anyone know anything about it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msly

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi All,

Anyone familiar with group policy's using gpedit.msc ?

Thanks

sLY

what do ya need to know ? and what version of server(s) are you using

Originally posted by slothy
what do ya need to know ? and what version of server(s) are you using

I am using NT4 servers, I was working on a xp pro workstation. I started experiment by making changes using gpedit.msc

I was logged in as myself but I have domain admin rights on this network. If i am working with this can i accidentally make policy changes on the network unintentionally? I was under the assumption that the changes I am making are just local changes.

sLY

Well if you make domain policy changes , then yes it will affect the users logging in (nt clients, might do some 98, i can remember), but if your changing the policys locally on the xp then it only affects that workstation

Originally posted by slothy
Well if you make domain policy changes , then yes it will affect the users logging in (nt clients, might do some 98, i can remember), but if your changing the policy's locally on the xp then it only affects that workstation

I appreciate your help. I have used Policy editor before, but what had happened is I was playing around with group policy editor in xp to lock down some stuff on the local machine. I then created a ghost image. I deployed the image on a workstation in a room and right clicked the desktop to change the resolution. It would not let me. I then went to 5 other computers on the network that i did not image and all had the same thing happen. I went into a panic because I thought i had inadvertently made a network policy change. It turns out that the network guy that had this building before me had set some policy's that I was not aware of. I never noticed because when i am logged in the policy is not in affect. Man I started sweating. Because no matter what I did i was not able to reverse this policy. Thats what happens when you take over a network from someone that was here for 7 years and he had all of 2 hours to show me everything LOL...

Thanks for the info.

sLY

Last edited: