Goodwill's gonna love me

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Here I have come to the realization that I have a severe case of being a packrat. You name it I'd keep it. Clothes that have not been worn in 10 years, yeah, ya know one day I could need them. Bank statements from an account I closed over 5 years ago, yeah, maybe the IRS will audit my account there one day and I'll be ready. The list continues to grow at an alarming rate.

I don't know what specifically prompted me to do it but I am undergoing a major house cleaning. Maybe it is the fact that more often than not whenever I need something I can never find it and generally if I do find it it's way past being helpful for me. Either that or I could not find the one I knew I had so I bought another just to get home and find the one I couldn't find. Instead of taking the brand new one back I decided to keep it in case I can't find the original one day I can use the spare.

Over the past 24 hours I have began a true epic journey for me. Getting rid of a ton of stuff I probably will never use again. If there comes a day, like has happened once or twice, that I find I needed something I got rid of because I only used it a few times a year then so be it. I'll bet, borrow, or steal one. While I am not going to get rid of all my rc stuff or parts I very well may thin my stuff out when I get my toolbox back.

I look at my daughter's toys. What used to be a normal sized toy box is now that same toy box plus 2 foot lockers, a t-maxx box, Savage box, 4 drawer big rubbermade shelves (6 of them to be exact).

So far I have taken out 5 body bag sized trash bags to the dumpster and have a stack of my clothes to go to goodwill that's about 4 feet in diameter and about 4 feet tall. I look at a few of the clothes and I can see tobacco smoke stains from where they have sat on the hanger so long without moving and the exposed fabric was stained.

My mother, bless her heart, sends me a dozen of so socks each and every year either for my birthday or for x-mas. I could literally wear a brand new pair of socks for a few months and never wear the same pair a second time. Now I have weeded through my socks also. If it showed signes of wear it went into the goodwill pile. If I couldn't remember when I received the pair of socks (for the dress socks I might wear once or twice a year) I axed it.

Shoes. Hmmm. I thought women were the shoeaholics. I went through my shoes. Let's see, 11 pairs of Army boots, probably more if I really looked. Of those 8 one I was going to sell to a buddy last winter but they never made it out the door. 2 more pair probably should be trashed but they hold sentimental value so I will not. One pair is almost worn out beyond repair (actually it's beyond repair) but it's just so comfortable to wear every day. One pair a buddy gave me a few years ago but I never got them resoled in over 2 years nor have I worn them. 2 brand new pairs of desert boots that I found a month or two ago, well they don't count. I'll probably hawk them at GI-Joes some time in the 21st century.

I thought I was talking about shoes, oh wait I was side tracked by my Army boots. Shoes, hmmmm. I have 4 pairs of hiking shoes. One of which has not been worn sinch I got them too muddy a few years ago and never took them out of the closet. Another has been chewed on by my dog that I gave to the SPCA in 2001 but man they are comfortable and they really don't look that bad. My running shoes, hmmm. I bought them in 1996 of 1997. The have dragster slick soles by now but they too hold sentimental value. I think I will keep them only for the chance that one day the Army says I can't wear hiking shoes during our morning runs.

Let me stop rambling and get back to cleaning house. Hopefully I'll be able to see a few walls within the next week or so.

What size are the desert boots?

EP, you did a good job of cammo'n all that stuff, I never noticed when I was there. But of course, I'm about on your level when it comes to pack rat skillz.

Man everyone wants to take my stuff from me. Let's see presently I have a pair of Desert Boots already spoken for, a telescope, and a buttload of M-16 magazines. I'm hitting Goodwill in a few to drop off the clothes. Let me check back later when I really get into my Army stuff in earnest, that was really only the tip off the iceburg. I know no jungle fatigues but I may have a couple dozen old regular style BDU's I no longer use.

Originally posted by El Pirata
....that was really only the tip off the iceburg.

Fun fact: Only about 10% of an iceberg is visable above the surface.

I know no jungle fatigues but I may have a couple dozen old regular style BDU's I no longer use.

dibs. fatigues for engines.

Hmmm, how many sets do you want? I think I have a few decent ones that no longer fit an adult but they should fit you. I think I got them off that teddy bear they sell in BDUs.

LMAO,

OK kids, that's EP's way of tellin me to piss off.

Thanks buddy.:wedgie:

Yeah, If you have any BDU's in good condition I'll pay shipping. I'm in AFJROTC at school and we are aloud to wear BDU's the last thursday of every month and I ordered my name tags but I don't have the $70 to buy a BDU at the moment.

El P - Seriously, if you have any poop my size I'm interested. My Army duffles were stolen along with MANY of other things during a move a few years ago. So the only thing I have left are my cross rifles, boots and some pairs of underwear and tshirts (they last forever)

I'm XL top and bottom. 46-48 upstairs and my civilian pant size is 36 waist 34 long.

I'm REALLY interested in some field jackets if anyone has them.

in the words of eminem, double XL, double XL.

Chris, I got dibs on XL pants. You gotta get online sooner bro.

What the hell are you going to do with double XL pants? Parachute?

lol

bomp-chicka-bow-wow.

Nope, have a party, what else.

And that was a funny line from one of his songs.

Ok, so If I send my wife over to 'party' can I get the other pair?

You can usually find really good deals on fatigues, boots, etc...
at Sportsmansguide.com
Check it out...

poop, send your wife over here... I'll buy ya the damn pants...lol

LMAO!!!!!

That Broken!

You coming to town in December? Maybe we can swap? lol

Slowly but surely I'm scoring great tickets for all the home games for the Bills :)

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
LMAO!!!!!

That Broken!

You coming to town in December? Maybe we can swap? lol

Slowly but surely I'm scoring great tickets for all the home games for the Bills :)

I'm really gonna try now...lol
Hopefully I'll be done with my home remodeling projects by then...
I'll be getting some Ranger tickets this season also, & your definately welcome....

Last edited:
Chris, I might have 2 old Field Jackets I could part with but they are size medium short, though they should fit I mean they still fit me.

I am also a packrat. Once a year I will commit a day or two just for cleaning. Every year I manage to throw away a ton of stuff but my place never seems to get any smaller. hehe I just invested into a shredder so I can start weeding thru my paperwork. My poor desk drawers are chucked full of binders with various paperwork.

Originally posted by El Pirata
2 more pair probably should be trashed but they hold sentimental value so I will not.

Just curious but how does footware hold sentimental value?

Back