getting my father into the hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpiracer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi again I'm trying to get my dad in to rc i let him drive my rc's but he calls them money pits any ideas on how to get him hooked?:confused: :dancin:

Damn.

He's driven 'em and he still isn't interested?

Check his pulse.

he says there a waste of money i figure maybe if i get him hooked bonding also we can go to the next bash

Is he into cars in general? Does he like racing? Does he like building stuff? Is he a tinkerer? If the answer is NO to all these its gonna be hard to get him interested. Especially if hes already against it.

he likes car in general he's a mechanic he likes to go to english town nj alot to watch dragraces

So what's the deal? He'll go to the drags, but he doesn't get jazzed by driving these things? What kind of car do you have? Geez, how can you not have fun with these things? Are there any other people around who have them? Has he been around when there's a group of cars running? I'm stumped...

just take him to a race and he will see how cool they are. my dad did a 180 on the idea when he saw a race. one of these days i will get him to get one

Originally posted by hpiracer
he likes car in general he's a mechanic he likes to go to english town nj alot to watch dragraces

sounds like the perfect hobby for him.

money is a valid concern. if i step back and look at what i'm spending my money on, i'm buying in big toys.

you can however get in on the hobby for less money. take the micro rs4, for example:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXALT4&P=7

this kit is $99. I requires some building and painting (very fun). After you done, you can buy a radio (<$50) and an esc (also <$50). For $200 spread out over time, you can have fun little car you can race around the living room. With winter comming up, it would be a great way to get into the hobby.

ask your local hobby shop if they sell the micro rs4 and all the extras needed to put it together.

the micro rs4 is a quality car just on a smaller scale. if you're looking at anything else, you're going start $300 minimum for anything of quality.

-Rob

I just don't get it. You have a nice set of rides there. Where do you bash your Maxx? Do you get to sky it off big jumps and all that? I tell ya, there's nothing like beating the snot out of that thing. Perhaps a more adventuresome approach is needed. Just running up and down the street gets a bit stale. Find something to jump over and he may change his mind.

he has also been to my races we usally go to the school yard a couple of blocks away the got like 5 baseball fields and there's like a miny forest with all these bmx jumps but my maxx has been out of order since november

Back