fuel tank clunk

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rctimewaster

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello
I have a question regarding the fuel filter clunk, if it is removed can it change the tune.

I have a shorty that needs engine tune help.
IMG_20231012_104859_030.jpg

Removing the filter might increase flow since it's not being drawn thru the filter. If so, that could make it run a little rich... pure speculation on my part, so don't quote me.

Thank you 9x19
After i removed the fuel filter clunk it now sometimes start then cuts out.
i will put it back and see if it will hold a idle.

when i got this shorty used it came with the clunk right and tank breather left in the pic and the starting was easy with good idle and low rev acceleration as i tried it in the backyard but when i went to the park it cut out during the begin of the power band.
Then i removed the fuel clunk and changed the tank breather to the standard type and now it won't start.
I feel a bit stupid now i realize the tank breather should be above the tank.
also i guess i can't fill the tank with fuel higher than the breather hose in the tank?

IMG_20231012_114656_604.jpg

IMG_20231012_114421_145.jpg

Last edited:
i put the fuel filter back it's a must to have in there just to keep the fuel line from rising when filling the tank.
i fixed the tank breather as well.
still have a problem I probably need a new carb as well because the primer bulb is slow to expand back after pushing it and with the spark plug out and pulling the starter there is no fuel at all spraying out.
It's not firing at all now.

Did you see this drive as you want it to ever in person?
if yes return things back to how it was when you seen it run
clunk is a fuel filter removing it will increase fuel mixture so it will run rich ( can lead to easy stall outs)
rebuild carb if needed much cheaper than new carb that you will have to set change primer bulb...

rebuild carb if needed much cheaper than new carb that you will have to set change primer bulb...
i took the air filter off and when i press the primer there is no fuel going in the carb it's probably blocked.
i got a carb from another baja i'll try that.

i took the air filter off and when i press the primer there is no fuel going in the carb it's probably blocked.
i got a carb from another baja i'll try that.
If you get a new carb oem is best. These amazing ones work for a month or two then give out. Another thing is to get ethanol free gas. Ethanol tears up small engines real fast.

Thanks Chubaka.
A new carb is best...i get one with the next part order.
i believe the fuel i use has no ethanol.

I took the carb off the shorty and i'm new to 1/5....is there away to test the carb while it's off?
I found a walbro carb rebuild on YT it helped explain things.

IMG_20231013_093828_366.jpg

IMG_20231013_093904_121.jpg

Last edited:
i checked it got no spark at the plug and probably the ignition coil failed i got another coil to try.

i got zapped testing the spare coil.
i didn't know the copper wire was sticking out of the silicone boot and i didn't know i had my finger on the copper when i pulled the starter:(