Fisher Price Power Wheels Hopup?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrechM

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Does anyone know how to hop up the Fisher Price 12 volt motors? Specifically the pink Barbie Take Along Tunes Jeep and the Hot Wheels Formula 1 GT Racer Go Kart. There isn't much much info available for these motors. My thoughts were to increase the battery voltatage from 12 to 18 volts but I'm not at all sure that the wiring will handle the load. Both cars use the same 12 volt power plants and operate on the same 12 volt batteries. You have probably seen these in your neighborhood or possibly your children have them.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006IJIH/qid=1098310955/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6647355-1546351?v=glance&s=toys]Babie Jeep[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CED7Q/qid=1098311069/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/104-6647355-1546351?v=glance&s=toys]Formula 1 GT[/ame]

Diagram. This is all that I have found and it's pretty useless.

Why? My 5 year old wants to go faster.

ahahaha dont lie we all know as in the ppl at the bash that the pink jeep in the garage was yours

you could convert a 12v car battery over to house current and rig up a Bandsaw motor.

find some wheel chair motors and gear them the way you want! those things are nutz!

Blah420 said:
ahahaha dont lie we all know as in the ppl at the bash that the pink jeep in the garage was yours
ssssshhhhh, you weren't supposed to say anything!

She has the GT Kart in the attic unassembled for an x mas present and the pink one is her jeep (although I did ride it). She keeps complaining about not being able to keep up with the 2 boys down the court that have the gt karts. She keeps bugging me to make it go faster. The jeep maxes out at 5 mph and the kart maxes out at 7 mph. If I could get the jeep to keep up with the karts and the new kart to go slightly faster than the others I'd be a hero.

Seriously I'd like to do it for her...but without breaking the bank and not making it go so fast as to be unsafe. She's only 5 years old.

Last edited:
if you go with a car batt, the batt from a civic is tiny. That should put out more current for that bad boy!

I thought about getting one for my daughter for X-mas and was wondering more along the lines of making it last longer off a charge but more speed would be cool too.

My 4 year old son has the brown Jeep Wrangler, and he wants it to go faster too. If you figure out a method please be sure and let us know.

My neighbor and I took apart his daughter's kart last month to see what made it tick. There's room for a battery on the other side, so our thought was to wire them together for double the speed, plus a switch on the steering wheel for reverse. His wife picked up a battery at Kmart, but it was the wrong size. It's on hold now, but we'll be attacking it as soon as the get the right batteries in stock.
Depending on how you wire it, in series or parallel, you will either double the run time, or double the speed.

You can also wire in a washing machine motor that will really make it haul, but you need to carefully measure the extension cord so it will unplug itself before she reaches the street. J/K

Since I have not had the GT Racer out out the box yet I cannot comment but the Jeep has slight amount of additional room under the hood for a lager battery but not enough for 2nd one.
Is there a way to change the timing on this type of motor?

This one may work.
http://www.akossmall.com/cgi-bin/amazon.pl?asinsearch=B00011F4E0
I'm stopping by Toys R Us this week with the messurements. It should be relatively easy to rewire the connector. I've been doing some google searches and saw some other posts about the Power Wheels motors having a maximum 18 volt capacity. 18v should push it along fast enough. I need it to go about 7.5 mph. If it works she gets a new Bell helmet.

Did you think about getting something like an 18 volt drill? you could get a cheap one for $40 and tear it apart.

I took my 12v drill battery apart just to see what was inside... there are 10 sub-c batteries in there. With that in mind, you could make your own battery pack however you want. Long and skinny to fit anywhere, or split it up.

Just a thought.

I mean this is an rc forum and you can find chargers and batteries all over the place. Does the battery say what MaH it is? I'd bet it's just a bunch of NiCD's in a plastic box like my drill.

Get a couple packs of these and you will be running 24v with 3300 MaH.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1203

I'd buy some heavier gauge wire to run things though just to handle the extra current. But I don't know if I would go much higher than 14-16v. Maybe try to get at the actual motor and do a google on it. Then maybe you can figure out what it's limitations are.

There is a guy on E-bay that makes hop-ups for the power wheels. He has new Circuit Boards and wiring to allow the motor to work better. I'll see if I can find it. I talked to him about hopping up my Mini-Bike. I either need more motor, or less beer.

MiniBike.JPG

This is taken from a Power Wheels forum...

Power wheels have 18volt motors. both the 12 and 6 volt type can use 18volts. Toy r us now sells a 18volt battery for a mini motorcycle ($44).
24 volts will burn out the motors 18volts is max!!!

Where in the hell was this poop when I was a kid ????? Dammit...
That's badass.... lol
348507_full.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a link for that forum? I think those kids are going to like spinners!!

Here it is, only $9.00 for all the secrtes on DVD.

PW - Hop-ups

My sisters kids have one. We took a motorcycle battery and dropped it in, It's small, light and makes the thing goa bit faster, and longer off of a charge.

My daughter has one. There is a restrictor that comes in as a default. It is basically a small screw that does not allow you to get the little sucker into HI. I removed that when my daughter figured out that she could steer. It claims to go ten mph, but I have not clocked it. The sucker moves pretty quick. You may want to check to see if you have a similar screw in place. Look on the shifter.

If is isn't there...then time for larger motors and bigger batteries.

RAMTech-RC said:
Is that you RAMTech? Wanna race? lmao! I'll order the cd.

Man... no idea that I'd get this kind of response to a post about Barbie Jeeps and Karts for kids. You guys have given me lots of good ideas to take a look at.
It appears that Fisher Price discontinued the Power Wheels 18V battery 0801-0340 which would have probably been the easiest one to use. (I'm guessing maybe for this very reason?) I did pull the speed reduction screw out of the shifter as soon as she learned to control it. Doing that doubled the top speed.
Thanks

-Strech