Exhaust Extension

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhague

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have seen pics of savvys with what looks like a silicone extension on the exhaust pipe, and I wanted one to keep the suspension a little cleaner. While at work today I just happened to think of something that works perfect for such a thing. A spark plug boot!!!! I am a Chrysler technician and the boot off of minivan plug wires works perfect!!!! Just thought I would share my idea, someone may have already thought of this one. If so let me know. :)

I happened to find a loose spark plug boot while bashing with my Tmaxx several years ago. It turned it into a trumpet. The amplified noise was unbearable.
I don't know how it would work on a Savage, since it's a much larger pipe.

I put it on but I haven't tested it yet because roto is still broken. Waiting for time and money to get a pullstart.

I happened to find a loose spark plug boot while bashing with my Tmaxx several years ago. It turned it into a trumpet. The amplified noise was unbearable.
I don't know how it would work on a Savage, since it's a much larger pipe.

How did that work? That sounds cool (pun intended). I mean, how did you rig it up?

I had a straight pipe from MIP. The stinger came straight out the back, and I stuck the boot on it hoping it would let me shut it off without burning my finger. It was intensely loud. In the picture, it's aimed out the rear window with just the end of it left to insulate me from the hot metal. I cut off the trumpet.

Rear_Exhaust.JPG

so basically anything that is wider than the stinger that extends out?

yeah, But I want something that trumpets. like that spark plug thing did for you. make it unbearably loud.=devil

ROLEX, How did you get 'er to trumpet and make it unbearably loud?

I am thinking that a sparkplug boot may have been softer and allowed it to resonate different.

Could be... ROLEX ROLEX rolex where are you? Thats all I really wnat, a deafening sound hehehe

Think about it. A spark plug boot is shaped like a trumpet bell. The tight end, where the wire entered, was the perfect size to fit on the stinger. It was a right angle boot so I originally aimed it up and had it blowing smoke like a tractor trailer. WAY too loud, so I then aimed it at the ground. Not much better, so I ended cutting it off and just using the end on the stinger to keep from burning my finger.

so just stick it on where the wires went through? well thats easy enough. Grimar, I don't know exactly why. Its one of those things that will impress friends, piss off wife, and scare the crap out of birds everytime you run it.

The same setup might not work on a Savage with the bigger stinger. The Tmaxx had a 2.5 and a MIP pipe with a much smaller outlet.

Mine is actually just a straight boot. I have the larger diameter end on the stinger. I just want to aim the outlet down further to try and keep the rear suspension a little cleaner. I hate a dirty rig. Everytime it gets dirty I take it to work with me and dissasemble it and go to town with brake clean.

If you have the large end on the pipe, does that mean you've restricted the outlet? If so are you really sure you want to go that way, tuning wise, when as Rolex showed you real silicone ones are available.
If not I'll get back in my box.......

well go ahead and get back in that box but I will send you a bigger one. in all seriousness though, Could you give a link to the silicon trumpeters?

I probably have a little bit, but like I said, "I haven't tryed it with it running yet." Once I can start it I will try it out and let you guys know.

Back