ESC with a receiver pack?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Does anybody use a rx pack with an esc, can you use a rx pack with an esc?

You can, but the question is why do you want to? I have seen people use a separate rx pack on a big electric plane so that the rx has it's own power and won't be affected by the LVC on the esc. But I don't know as it would matter with a car. And it will add more weight.

If the ESC has a BEC disable mode, then yes you can. It will allow the ESC to run cooler.

SMaxxin said:
Does anybody use a rx pack with an esc, can you use a rx pack with an esc?

Are you asking:

Can you use it in conjunction with a battery pack?

or

Can you use it in place of a battery pack?

Mr T

Candyman said:
You can, but the question is why do you want to?

I want maximum power to the servos, weight is not an issue.

Mr T-Maxx said:
Are you asking:

Can you use it in conjunction with a battery pack?

or

Can you use it in place of a battery pack?

Mr T

Asking if it can you use it in conjunction with a battery pack?

sweetdiesel said:
If the ESC has a BEC disable mode, then yes you can. It will allow the ESC to run cooler.

What if it doesn't have a BEC disable, is there anyway around that?

Thanks for the help guys

What size pack and which esc are you running? If I understand it correctly, the ESC's BEC should give you full voltage as long as the battery pack doesn't drop below 6 volts. If the BEC is not putting out enough amps, you can run a UBEC which can provide a higher amperage to run your servos. The UBEC can also be used when the pack's voltage exceeds the ESC input voltage rating. The UBEC must be used in conjunction with an ESC that has a BEC disable mode.

Last edited:
I have seen BEC's disabled on air ESC's just by removing one of the wires. But I am no 100% sure whether car ESC's will do the same. I'll have to do a little research to see if you can. I know on planes you can just plug the altered ESC plug into the throttle channel, then the battery into the BATT channel and it works. I suspect it should work on a car.

just plug the receiver pack into the BATT slot on your receiver. no need to disable the BEC circuit the 2 will just work in parallel. receiver packs are used all the time in 12th scale racing because the 4 cell packs arent enough voltage for the servo's, especially in mod racing.

According to my ol' Tekin's manual, you simply pull the positive lead out of the ESC's reciever plug, then you can use a reciever pack. I did, when I was running a two-day race about 6 years ago. It was either run with a reciever pack, or sit it out.

CorradoPsi said:
just plug the receiver pack into the BATT slot on your receiver. no need to disable the BEC circuit the 2 will just work in parallel. receiver packs are used all the time in 12th scale racing because the 4 cell packs arent enough voltage for the servo's, especially in mod racing.

Thats with 4 cell packs, I will be using 6 cell batteries, when I add the receiver pack won't that overload the esc? This is the esc I will be using it's waterproof and 100% submersible, also the first part that comes from the GC I won :breakdown

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXKYX6

Thanks for the help guys.

HeartBreak said:
According to my ol' Tekin's manual, you simply pull the positive lead out of the ESC's reciever plug, then you can use a reciever pack. I did, when I was running a two-day race about 6 years ago. It was either run with a reciever pack, or sit it out.

I think I read that before, I'll have to go digging for old posts.

same method applies. if your still nervous, disconnect the positive lead from the speed controls harness as heartbreak suggested. you wont blow out the esc, all your doing is powering the radio system.

Thanks for the info guys!