Engine won't turn

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtother

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My Revo 2.5 has been sitting still for about 2 years now and I have recently decided its time to put it to good use. I have charged everything in the hopes of running it again soon, but it appears that the engine is stuck; although the ez start seems to be fine, the flywheel wont turn. I am guessing that because of the time its been without use, the engine might have taken some rust?. Since I've never had the need to clean the internals of the engine (since it had very little run time 2 gallons tops) I am not completely sure how to approach this. Might there be anything else causing this? What should I use to clean the engine and avoid the sleeve to score with the rust? Any help is highly appreciated!

wd40 is what I have been using since I got rust in one of my 3.3's and it seems to do the trick.

Yep take out the glow plug and shoot some WD40 in there and take and turn the fly wheel untill u free it up.

Sitting that long I can guarantee there is rust on the crank and bearings. WD-40 will help free it up but will not get all the rust out. Your best bet to insure no rust comes free and gets into the combustion chamber once the engine is started is to completely disassemble the engine and give it a good cleaning.

If it is rust and you get it to break free or clean it I am sure the surfaces will have corrosion on them. I can't see the engine lasting too long, something is going to wear out faster.

So Ill be taking apart engine, but what should I be using to clean? denatured alcohol? If I free it up with wd40 and move the flywheel, wouldn't this score the piston and sleeve? thanks for all the help!

Just free it up enough to dissasemble it. The piston is aluminum and the sleeve is chrome so there should be no rust there.
Its when the engine is started that the damage would happen if any rust came off the bearings, crankshaft or starter shaft.

use some wd40 and a small wire brush to get the rust off everything.. I used my dremel tool and a little grinding wheel just enough to get the rust off and sprayed with wd40 and put it all back together.. but definetly check your bearings when you open it up because if those are gone you dont want to find out after you have taken the time to put it back together.. that would suck!!!!!! And when you put it back together definetly seal the engine... make sure that there is no gumming in the tank or lines and the carb!! I soaked my carb ( in peices) in wd40 overnight and it cleaned everything right out of it.. good luck!!!