Dogbone wont come out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
How do i take this pin out of the dogbone, it ownt budge, is there some sort of technique?
IMG_20231102_181008.jpg

There should be a grub screw somewhere in the ball

Last edited:
COuld you describe it for me?

I'll try to find a photo. May I ask what model of car this comes from?

never had a dog-bone with grub screw most ae put in with red loctite. so a little heat and then put on woodblock with hole just bigger than pin and use copper maul bag it out

Last edited:
Nanda nrx-10
I second what tnt said
never had a dogbone wit grub screw most ae put in with red loctite. so a little heat and then put on woodblock with hole just bigger that pin and use copper maul bag it out
I haven't worked on a tenth scale since the beginning of the summer. I recently took apart a 8th scale buggy cv joint with a grub screw. Though 10th scale touring cars and 8th scales aren't exactly the same lol

How do i take this pin out of the dogbone, it ownt budge, is there some sort of technique?
i believe they call it a cvd.
there should be a grub screw there as already said.

It's a Cvd. There should be a grub screw holding the pin in, or if not, and it's actually stuck, use wd40 and some pliers and hammers.

never had a dog-bone with grub screw most ae put in with red loctite. so a little heat and then put on woodblock with hole just bigger than pin and use copper maul bag it out
There are some that have a set screw. But that is not visible in the pic of this one. So I think youreright. It's either a bang it out, or a set screw. Like this one is obviously a set screw. But I have seen fully concentric cups with a slot cut in them to access a set screw locking the pin in.
Screenshot_20231103-014449_Chrome.jpg

This is a photo of my Nanda NRX-10 where the set screw is removed from the barrel, use a 1.5mm hex wrench to remove it and apply some heat with a micro torch first so you don't risk stripping the threads, be sure to apply blue thread lock on the set screw so it doesn't back out later on:

1699023273869.png

Side note, this part is called a CVD, dog bones do not have any captured pins like CVD's and Universal's do.

can't thank you enough bill

This is a photo of my Nanda NRX-10 where the set screw is removed from the barrel, use a 1.5mm hex wrench to remove it and apply some heat with a micro torch first so you don't risk stripping the threads, be sure to apply blue thread lock on the set screw so it doesn't back out later on:

View attachment 174156

Side note, this part is called a CVD, dog bones do not have any captured pins like CVD's and Universal's do.
Do you know an alternative to a micro torch? whould a heat gun work effectively

Do you know an alternative to a micro torch? whould a heat gun work effectively
Do you have a soldering iron? If so you could use that to heat up the set screw.

Make sure anytime you are working on a potentially problem screw, especially a set screw, that you use a quality wrench to start. If you use a cheap bit and it strips, you're going to have problems. Make sure your wrench fits snug too. A lot of cheap Chinese tools can be a little loose in the hex. Give it a very slight turn clockwise then back it out slowly.

View attachment 174156

Hey bill I heated up the middle a couple times but the pin just wont move

Do you have a soldering iron? If so you could use that to heat up the set screw.

Make sure anytime you are working on a potentially problem screw, especially a set screw, that you use a quality wrench to start. If you use a cheap bit and it strips, you're going to have problems. Make sure your wrench fits snug too. A lot of cheap Chinese tools can be a little loose in the hex. Give it a very slight turn clockwise then back it out slowly.
I just did what you said with the soldering iron but nothing it working, any more suggestions?

I just did what you said with the soldering iron but nothing it working, any more suggestions?
Did you find the set screw? There is a set screw holding the pin in. Once you get that out the pin should slide out easily.

Did you find the set screw? There is a set screw holding the pin in. Once you get that out the pin should slide out easily.
I'm not sure, there seems to be a cylinder looking thing inside and it has the pin attatched to it

Back