Darn! It finally happened

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well - I was hoping to get a few more months out of it, but it finally happened - My POS Saturn had its last day. Came home from work last night, and after i parked, the engine broke for the last time. Can you say 'total compression loss'? Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

On the lighter side, i already found a suitable replacement. The car dealership i used to work for, just took in a creampuff, and i can still get stuff for cost over there.

My new car? A 1995 VW GTi VR6 with , are u ready for this, 41K actual miles. Some middle aged lady bought it, and has had it since new. Thing looks perfect, and they stole it from her on a trade, they got about 3600 bucks in it. I can buy it for 3800, comes out to about 4200 after taxes and tags.

Now the bad part - I hate car payments, and dont have 4000 laying around, so I'm gonna have to finance this baby. Got approved at 6.4% x 24mos - figure i can pay it off in about 4mos but its gonna severely limit my RC fun. Oh well. Thing books out for about 8500, so i can't pass up the deal.

He he......174hp inline 6 cylinder - 2 doors, hehehe....fast.

nice car. sucks it's going to limit your RC hobby.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
The car dealership i used to work for, just took in a creampuff ...

Thing looks perfect, and they stole it from her on a trade, they got about 3600 bucks in it.

that right there is why I can't stand salesmen. they are all nice and buddy buddy and cheery to the customer's face. then they tell thier budies: "We just suckered a total creampuff. We damn near stole her car for 3600." pseudo nice people - can't stand them. i think you were a mechanic right NA?

haha, you had a saturn. What year? I like saturns...my dad has one...but they ARE pieces of poop

So you got the VW yet? Is it a 5-speed? Isn't that a turbo?

yep - gonna be really tough on the RC;s for a few months, but oh well.

I was a mechanic during high school at the dealership, but was a salesman, from 1998-2001.

Think whatcha want, but my job was to get as much money as possible from you. If you are too stupid to know what your car is worth, than that's too bad. I wasn't there to make friends with the customers, i was there to make money.

the saturn was a 1994. Yeah, i picked up the VW at lunchtime.

They only come with a 5speed. No turbo, its an inline 6 cylinder. Only engine they had then. Now u can get it with the turbo or the 6cyl. the turbo puts out 150hp, the 6cylnder puts out 201hp. In 1995, it only put out 174 though. Thing is still fast though. 0-60 in about 6.5 secs

That sucks NA. However it sounds like you got a great deal. Do you have a picture of it?

oh NA, you need to lower the beast and put a turbo kit on it. pppssshhhhh

Originally posted by mcvickj
That sucks NA. However it sounds like you got a great deal. Do you have a picture of it?

no pic of mine - but here is a pic of the exact same car, same color and same engine.

595GTI_vr6.jpg

Last edited:

I was a mechanic during high school at the dealership, but was a salesman, from 1998-2001.

scratch the above post then. :whistle:

Originally posted by kwong2001
oh NA, you need to lower the beast and put a turbo kit on it. pppssshhhhh

why would i do that?

because the car is already a rocket, more power would be useless on the street, and lowing a car makes it look stupid, childish, ghetto, and destroys the suspension of the vehicle. Plus, it makes it ride like poop.

eh, you just need some tein coilovers. They're adjustable so you can have the car low and still have the same ride as stock. But it comes with everything you need so it won't destroy anything...they're the best.

kwong, you are msitake, and I'm not gonna get into an argument with you. ANYTHING you do to a car that changes is it from the factory setup will harm the automobile. by lowering a car, even with coilovers, u change the angle of the a-arms, which puts undo stress on the bolts and bushings that hold them in place. you put added stress on the drivetrain, as the cv joints and doj joints arnt properly lined up, u put undo stress on the unibody, due to increased rigidity. although minor, over the miles, these stresses add up and will cause premature wear.

I was just thinking of something else. If NA had to take a loan out for the car I think it would be safe to assume that adding aftermarket parts to his new ride would be the last thing on his mind.

very true, mcvuckj - as u have noticed, not only do i keep cars for a very long time, but i drive them until they dont go forward anymore. life expectency is paramount to me. Compound that to the fact that i DESPISE speeders, have never gotten a speeding ticket, and dont ever drive over the speed limit, an increase in horsepower would be kinda silly for me. I will admit though, that accelerating up the intersate onramp with this thing is a blast!

as u have noticed, not only do i keep cars for a very long time, but i drive them until they dont go forward anymore. life expectency is paramount to me.

Well it certainly sounds like you got your money's worth out of your Saturn. :) I have the same mindset. I hope to have my Taurus for a long, long time. :)

Is the dealership taking the car off your hands or are you giving it to a junkyard? Maybe you try and part it out to make some money. Of course that could be a very time consuming process.

not sure what I'm doing with the saturn yet - it has freezing cold AC, and i just put a new alternator on it last sunday. also put a new timing chain on it about a month ago. Gonna run an ad in my paper for it, try and get at least 500.00

I have to stick with trucks.... Put my ass in a sportscar, & I tend to drive it like I stole it... can't help myself....

Hmm.. since it lost all compression, did you check the head gasket if it might be worn out? Or the piston rings?
If you wouldn't live so far away i'd stop by and would help you to rip the engine apart to find out whats wrong.

But then... i already have my engine apart and in pieces since i burned oil, but i'm in the process of putting it back together.

Thomas

scummer - i knew it was going, just a matter of time. A lil while back, i broke the the timing chain, which bent some valves and warped the head. That attributed to some of the leaking, but the engine also had about 209,000 miles on it, so the rings were worn, as were the pistons. it was time for it to die.

Back