Crack in the engine crankcase fin

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmacca

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys,

i was cleaning my G3.0 engine the other day and i notice a 1cm crack in the top engine fin on the crankcase, would this be the case of the engine leak I've been having around the same are?

Pics tell 1000 words,

enginecrack.jpg

thanks

- jmacca

P.S. sorry about the photo, from my mobile

That's most likely the source of the leak. Time for a new engine I'd say. Let some others chime in, but I can't imagine there is anyway to fix it. If it runs decent, let 'er rip.

yea, I think I'll run it till it self destructs and then get a new engine...

Looks like its cracked from the outside edge-in? Probably caused by a crash? If its not cracked to the sleeve, it'll probably last a while. I'd try some JB Weld, like Moto suggested, and see how long she lives! Good luck!

pull the sleeve and see if the crack goes all the way through. if not you should be ok at least for a little while.

I had an after thought.. If ya do decide to go the JBWeld route, run the engine and have someone mix up your epoxy just before yer done running the engine, then smear it on there while the block is still hot! Try and force it down into that crack.. While it's still hot it may let it get down into the crack, before it cools off and closes up? (Or tear it down and pop the block in the oven for a few minutes to heat it up)

I know the crack doesn't go thought the sleeve, but I'll start putting money aside for the new engine. I have been looking for a reason to get one anyway... LOL

Back