Could of been worse

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I decided to seal the engine in my Savage X F4.6. After taking everything apart, I see there is a small pin that goes into the crankshaft, that meshes with the starting shaft for the roto start. This pin would barely make contact with the shaft, but I thought maybe centrifugal force would hold it tighter in place. So after I get everything put back together, and adjusted just right, I go to start it, and nothing, the engine will not turn over. So I take everything apart again, and I realize that there is supposed to be a small spring to hold the pin in place. I can not find this spring anywhere. So I found a whole new pin and spring the LHS, and proceed to re-assemble the engine again. I get everything put back together (again) and go to start. Now it turns over, but then my battery on the roto-start went dead. So I use my cordless drill to try and start. It turns over a few times, then I hear a snap, and it stops turning over. So I take everything apart (again) and I find the one way bearing just spins on the spindle. I can not find a LHS that has this in stock. So I ordered one on-line. I am still waiting for it, and I decide to see if I can clean the bearing and shaft to see if it will work, no luck, I find a small crack on the inside of it. But in the meantime, I try to turn the engine by hand, and it gets to a point then stops, it locks solid. So I remove the back plate (again) and I find the origional pin (not the spring) that goes into the crankshaft. It is wedged bewteen the crank, and the inside of the block. I also found a spot on the block where it hit (I would assume this is the snap I heard) and there is also a few shavings of metal on the inside of the block (near the big bearing for the crank). So I am thankful that I found this now, and not after I got the one way bearing. I would of tried to start, I can only imagine what would of happened had it started. So now I am going to take everything out of the engine, and thoroughly clean and inspect. Originally I did not want to take the clutch pads off, but now I will to remove the crankshaft all the way out......Should I replace the clutch's since I am going to have them off? They are the 3 piece type (stock) I have only ran 1/2 gallon of fuel through the Savage so far. Also should I change the clutch bell, and go with a differant gearing? However I do seem to like the stock gearing. Hopefully this will all go back together and I don't have anymore headaches. Probally not, but wishful thinking anyway.

Darn that sux, sorry to hear all that but i know how u feel, I've gone though that MANY times... You have only got 1/2 gallon through i wouldnt waist any more money on it. Its brand new, u still got a longways to go with them. Actully i like the stock gearing. If you want more torque u can get a new spur with more teeth or if u like speed get less teeth.
Well, hope u get that bearing soon so u can get back to bashing! Good Luck man

I took the crank out, and I found a chip on the piston. I am trying to atach a pic of it. If this works, and you can see it, what do you think? Can I still use it, or is it junk??

I think I got it

Attachments

• P7310035.JPG
    P7310035.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Smooth the chipped area out with a dremel. Then hope for the best...I think it may be toast. If you see any scratches in the sleeve or the piston it will not idle for crap when it gets warm.