Corvette jumping the shark....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us bow our heads in silence, the last American car icon is dying.

The whole attraction to the Vette was the fact that it had a massive, angry, snarling engine. If they just change over to a Euro-sedan type, I'd just go buy a Euro sedan. Vettes are nice, but I'd rather have something along the lines of a BMW M5 or Astin Martin DB9 or even a Maserati Quatroportte S.

The whole attraction to the Vette was the fact that it had a massive, angry, snarling engine. If they just change over to a Euro-sedan type, I'd just go buy a Euro sedan. Vettes are nice, but I'd rather have something along the lines of a BMW M5 or Astin Martin DB9 or even a Maserati Quatroportte S.

While I can't argue with your taste, keep in mind those other cars are at minimum more than double the price of the base model vette. I agree though, without the torque from a big V8, there are many other cars I'd rather have. Besides, even the vette has GM's notoriously cheap interior.

America just isn't building cars like they used to. I've become a crazy fan of the UK version of Top Gear and I really like a lot of the cars they test. Unfortunately few are available here. I'd love to see the car scene in the US transform. But I don't suspect Americans will give up their pickups and SUV's. It's a shame, too. There are so many cool cars out there that we can't get a hold of. The Ford Focus RS. The Ford Falcon and Holden Maloo from Australia. I was happy to see the Fiat 500 brought to the states. I just dread domestic cars. Most are just cheesy and cheap. And now the Vette is going in the same direction.

I hate to see the big V8 go myself, but if you customer base is getting smaller and more people are telling you that they want a different engine - than can you really blame GM for making the change?

I'm with ya Jeff. Even when they have the means to market a car at an otherwise euro buyer they balk. If I could get the 6-speed tranny in the new charger id be on it but nooooo... apparently americans can't drive standard when they want 4 doors. Oh well... that's why Subaru and Mitsu sells those pocketrockets to us dads that want a little of everything.. there's always a BMW 335 too. An M is too much for me.

Sent from my DROIDX

America just isn't building cars like they used to. I've become a crazy fan of the UK version of Top Gear and I really like a lot of the cars they test. Unfortunately few are available here. I'd love to see the car scene in the US transform. But I don't suspect Americans will give up their pickups and SUV's. It's a shame, too. There are so many cool cars out there that we can't get a hold of. The Ford Focus RS. The Ford Falcon and Holden Maloo from Australia. I was happy to see the Fiat 500 brought to the states. I just dread domestic cars. Most are just cheesy and cheap. And now the Vette is going in the same direction.

I couldn't agree more CM. Bikes are the same way, I'd love to have a 400cc sport bike, as I have no need for something that does 190mph, the speed limit is still 55 after all, but you'll never see one over here because there is no market for it. And the Focus RS, Drooooool.

I hate to see the big V8 go myself, but if you customer base is getting smaller and more people are telling you that they want a different engine - than can you really blame GM for making the change?

When it comes to the Corvette, it has always been a muscle car, and it should stay that way. It is an American Icon, and has always been the benchmark American sports car. As Candyman mentioned, they already have euro market cars that are better suited to this task, you'll just never see them over here.

According to the article they may still offer a big block as an option.

Sent from my DROIDX

One of the most over rated cars of all time in my opinion any ways. A smaller displacement engine that still cranks out big hp numbers is where its at imo.

Pulled up next to a Viper a few days ago. There is no substitute for the throaty rumble of American muscle.

When it comes to the Corvette, it has always been a muscle car, and it should stay that way. It is an American Icon, and has always been the benchmark American sports car. As Candyman mentioned, they already have euro market cars that are better suited to this task, you'll just never see them over here.

No no, i get that - but if people aren't buying the big engine ones then why keep rolling out in the same stuff?

Trust me I want a V8, I drive a V8. But from a business point of view - if sales are down why not change it to what others have asked for.

I love this statement in the remarks.

"Remember what happened when they changed the formula of Coke"

No no, i get that - but if people aren't buying the big engine ones then why keep rolling out in the same stuff?

Trust me I want a V8, I drive a V8. But from a business point of view - if sales are down why not change it to what others have asked for.

Yeah, that's very true. I would be willing to bet that sports car sales on the whole are way down, and not just the Corvette, but Mustangs, Camaros, etc. With gas right at $4 a gallon, who the hell can afford to drive the things? Not to mention new engine technology allowing a V6 to achieve the same HP a V 8 did 10 years ago. So now the $50,000 car that has 100 more HP than the $25,000 car suddenly isn't so appealing.

I agree with Woodie. If they can't sell em as they are then its time for a change. I love the roar of a Corvette racecar but I enjoy the sound of the small 12s too. I dunno, the domestic makers don't market to folks like myself. I would like to support a domestic MFR but they simply don't cater to my wants. Not one of them makes a traditional sport sedan. RWD, slightly overpowered, standard tranny. BMW and MB are about the only choices... then there's Audi with AWD as well as the AWD pocket rockets. I'm tired of understeering FWD cars.

Sent from my DROIDX

Let them leave the true corvette the way it is and build another model for those that want a little foreign clone.
Look what Ford did with that beautiful little Thunderbird through the years. Where is it now?

It took me a lot of digging, but I found a spy shot of the Euro Vette undergoing testing.

5pfLn.jpg

One of the most over rated cars of all time in my opinion any ways.

I can understand it might not be your style of car but do you seriously think a Vette is over rated???? For it's price range it is/was pretty tough to beat IMO.

---------- Post added at 1:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:12 PM ----------

"Remember what happened when they changed the formula of Coke"

That about sums it up!

---------- Post added at 1:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:12 PM ----------

Pulled up next to a Viper a few days ago. There is no substitute for the throaty rumble of American muscle.

Hell yea...Give me my big thirsty loud motor! Anything with less than 8 cylinders is a let down IMO. I know you can squeeze power out of a 4 or 6 banger but they will never sound or feel like the raw power you get out of 8 or more cylinders!

One of the most over rated cars of all time in my opinion any ways. A smaller displacement engine that still cranks out big hp numbers is where its at imo.

I honestly agree. i am a Chevy guy but I was never really into the vettes. I always liked novas and Chevelles MUCH more. I do like the new vetts though I must say but i would still rather have a new camaro.

As far as the Viper id MUCH rather have one of those than any chevy lol. They are just bad ass. but then again who has 70-100 grand to spend on one?

It is nice seeing them willing to change. I think turbos is where its at. I love the way they sound. Sure some hardcore corvette owners will be pist. But the last turbo gas engine to come from GM was the Buick Grand National and look how awesome that car was. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it don't suck.

Back