College Football

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoc2008

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whos your favorite college football team, mines is the Texas Longhorns hook 'em

AUSTIN, Texas (Ticker) -- For nearly the first 20 minutes of its season-opening contest, fourth-ranked Texas looked befuddled against New Mexico State. Then a special teams play by Selvin Young turned things around.

Young's 97-yard kickoff return sparked a 31-point barrage in the final 10:36 of the second quarter as the Longhorns routed the Aggies, 66-7.

Roy Williams caught two touchdown passes and had 104 receiving yards and true freshman quarterback Vince Young ran for two scores for the Longhorns (1-0), who have won nine of their last 10 openers and 20 straight home games.

"It is our mind set to try to score every time we have the ball, but it took us a while tonight," said Williams, who turned down the lure of the NFL for a chance to win a national title in his senior year. "Once we started, it was really hard to stop us. We got points off our offense, defense and special teams, which says a lot. Teams will be ready for us, but we will step up to the challenge."

Both defenses were dominant in a scoreless first quarter before the Aggies (0-1) broke through on an 18-yard run by quarterback Paul Dombrowski with 10:53 left in the half. But Selvin Young - who capped the scoring with a 39-yard punt return with 5:34 to play in the game - took the ensuing kickoff up the middle and cut left down the sideline to even the contest. It was the second-longest kickoff return in school history.

"Selvin Young's kickoff return changed the intensity and sparked the defense," said Longhorns coach Mack Brown, who was beginning his sixth season with the team. "It also sent New Mexico State a message that they would not win the game."

"We started out really well, and I thought our first quarter was pretty good," Aggies coach Tony Samuel said. "Special teams is always critical, and we gave them that kickoff return and things seemed to go south after that."

Cedric Benson put Texas ahead for good with a two-yard run with 5:52 to play in the half, and linebacker Derrick Johnson added a 47-yard interception return, Dusty Magnum a 28-yard field goal and Williams a 15-yard TD reception from Chance Mock before the break.

"I think it was a good interception," Johnson said. "I jumped in there really fast, so I wasn't sure whether or not (Buck Pierce) was going to throw it. I had never scored off of an interception before, but I got into the end zone tonight and I am looking to be in there more this season."

Mock, who made way for Vince Young with the game out of hand after three quarters, completed 7-of-15 passes for 156 yards and two touchdowns in his first game as starter. Young completed his only pass for 60 yards and ran five times for 61.

"I felt as though both quarterbacks did a good job," Brown said. "I also felt like we needed to let Vince Young play. Offensively, we wanted him to come in the first half, but New Mexico State had 19 1/2 minutes of possession at halftime, so we did not get the opportunity."

New Mexico State possessed the ball for a whopping 37:33 but committed five turnovers that Texas converted into 24 points.

Dombrowski was 4-for-8 for 41 yards and one interception, while Pierce went 4-for-7 for 34 yards and was picked twice.

"It was one big play and too many turnovers that turned the game around," Dombrowski said. "Texas is a quick, talented team and you cannot give them any opportunities to score."

"The first quarter was exciting because we came out and played tough," Aggies safety Matt Griebel said. "Then, the kickoff return turned the game around. We were satisfied with our play in the first quarter, but we gave up. We need to play with that same intensity for four quarters in order to succeed."

it's ALL about the hurricanes baby!!!
miami for life.

a wise man once said...if you dont wanna get owned hardcore, stay the hell out of our way.

As much as I hate to have to admit it this year, Syracuse Orangemen. Born and raised in Syracuse and got my Masters degree from SU. So I'm Orange through and through. Yes, they'll suck this year. And Banshee, go easy on us. Please?

ok I'm sorry I'm sorry....but the truth hurts dont it?:D

no but seriously we got off to a good start this year...i hope we can stay strong even without all the guys we lost like mcgahee and johnson and dorsey.
we'll be seeing one of your teams at the championship bowl in a few months:LoL: <--- and thats all i gotta say about the outcome of that game.

(now its just my luck that we are gonna suck this year and someone is gonna resurrect this post and flame the hell out of me lol)

Michigan Wolverines all the way!!!! Lloyd Carr is an awesome coach....

Arkansas Razorbacks. You're on my s-list now bmoc. JK!

Back