Clutch advice please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny05

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi there, I've been told this is the place to come if i have any questions that involve clutch shoe's.
I have a hpi savage 3 speed and recently but a 4.6 engine in, it ran fine to start with but the clutch now seems to be slipping and i'm get no trackion at all.
Could u give me some advice in which clutch kit would be suitable for my car to give maxium proformance.
Thanks Ben

Check your slipper first. It could be slipping. If not pull the clutch bell off and check the shoes. I personally prefer the stock composite shoes over aluminum. I could not get aluminum shoes to grab with my LRP. Stock grab just fine.

Again, check your slipper first.

When you put the engine in, did you tighten the clutch nut properly?

If it was working good b-4 you put the new engine in it I would look for a problem also b-4 I got a different clutch. One common problem when putting a new engine in is that the flywheel nut doesn't get tightened up enough and it allows the flywheel to spin on the shaft. Another potential problem is that you could have used the wrong brass collett to mount the flywheel to the shaft. I know a lot of engines come with one but you might have to use the one off your old engine to get it to work right.

check the following.
1. check the inside of the bell. it should be clean and dry.
2. as heart break mentioned check the nut
3. check all your dog bones( i know it sounds stupid but just check it.)

If it was working good b-4 you put the new engine in it I would look for a problem also b-4 I got a different clutch. One common problem when putting a new engine in is that the flywheel nut doesn't get tightened up enough and it allows the flywheel to spin on the shaft. Another potential problem is that you could have used the wrong brass collett to mount the flywheel to the shaft. I know a lot of engines come with one but you might have to use the one off your old engine to get it to work right.

That's exactl;y what I had to do ! ;) :thumbup: :goodpost:

check the following.
1. check the inside of the bell. it should be clean and dry.
2. as heart break mentioned check the nut
3. check all your dog bones( i know it sounds stupid but just check it.)

My 'dog's bones' are just fine ! :hehe: :p:

Back