Carbon Fiber Turnbuckles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike02vr6

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just wondering if anyone saw the website that showed how to make carbon fiber turnbuckles from carbon fiber arrow shafts? I saw it once before and was told maybe it was project madmaxx.com which I guess the page is down for some reason. I finally got the arrows and now I am just looking for the directions. Thanks for the help.

~Michael

Intesting but WHY would one want Carbon fiber turnbuckles on a MT? It's just not strong enough.....Maybe if you where doing serious Maxx racing.

I belive the arrow shafts have some serious thickness to them. I think I saw someone use them for Mammoth chassis braces before.. they worked out well I belive.

I guess that if you glue the ends in or if they thread in far enough you will not have problems with them pulling out. I have no doubt that the arrow shafts are strong enough to handle the job.

I too remember reading that article, except I saw it in an R/C magazine.... I was just telling another member about them for his crawler, but I couldn't find the mag it was in... Those arrow shafts are strong as hell.
All you need are the female threaded inserts for the ends, & some ballcups...

Last edited:
Originally posted by 30%NitroBoy
Intesting but WHY would one want Carbon fiber turnbuckles on a MT? It's just not strong enough.....Maybe if you where doing serious Maxx racing.
Carbon fiber is not as wimpy as you might think. Definately strong enough for bashing.

You could make the shafts fairly easy, if you decide to make them use west system epoxy instead of polyester styrene it's much stronger. You can get threaded inserts from mcmastercarr.com
glue these in with the epoxy and you could have a bullit proof setup. Hmmm I have about 4 yards of carbon kicking around, maybe I will mess with that idea.

Originally posted by El Pirata
Carbon fiber is not as wimpy as you might think. Definately strong enough for bashing.

Oohh I know it's not whimpy, I've got two custom rifles with Carbon fiber barrles and I've used it for lots of various stuff over the years. I can't c the point though for turnbuckles except to have something original and different.

I still can't remember where I saw it. Well its supposed to be tougher, the site I saw it on they had it on a basher. They held up. Also maybe to be a little different as well. Lykan yea someone on ebay was selling them for the mammoth. My Lt has a mammoth and we are gonna try and do them for his truck as well. We shall see how this works out I guess thanks to all who tried to help me.

~Michael.