can't unbolt engine ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSPGuy2190

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
juts brought a set of allen keys to unbolt the engine from the engine mounts and the bolts just seem to wanna bugger the allen keys , any way to loosen the allen bolts? and dnt gimme that " good set of tools crap " tools are tools

got 3 of 4 bolts off , what should i put over were the exhaust manafauld was bolted to the engine to keep the dust out

Good tools in the proper size, and don't give me that "tools are tools crap".
Cheap tools will ruin your day.

Just need to undo 1 more bolt :) and what do i use to cover the area on the engine were the exhaust manafold was

I agree with revo cheap tool's will ony make the job harder... You need good grade tool's for R/C wrenching.

anything else ? as i dnt have ear plugs lol ... ear plugs wtf

While I've never thought of it until reading it, ear plugs would work great, as you compress them and then insert into the cavity and they expand to seal, yet are easy to remove. I have them all over the place-home and work-so it's easy for me to simply grab a set out of my camera gear to use from now on. Great idea mrbones!

I do agree, better tools last longer. The steel is stronger and the tips don't round off. Especially important with these smaller sizes and with fasteners that have thread lock on them. However, you've got what you've got, so you need to deal with it. Try cutting the tip of the wrench off square so you have a new, sharp/flat Allen wrench tip to work with and see if that gets the screw out.

HTH...
Mark

yea i hate to tell you bud but tools are not tools
cheap grade tools will strip out almost instantly when there needed the most
its very ignorant of you to tell us not tell you that its not your tools
when it very much so is your tools
many of us own the same vehicles as you and have zero problems wrenching on are rigs.Its very important to be 100% sure your using the correct size tool and to have a tool thats not made out of the cheapest materials available
i dont care if i get infracted for saying this but i can't help it,for you to ask for help them say "dont give me that tools are cheap crap,tools are tools" is just very very IGNORANT and unintelligent of you
use the right size and get some decent high qualty hexes and you wont need to start stupid threads like this any more

Last edited:
many of us own the same vehicles as you and have zero problems wrenching on are rigs.Its very important to be 100% sure your using the correct size tool and to have a tool thats not made out of the cheapest materials available
i dont care if i get infracted for saying this but i can't help it,for you to ask for help them say "dont give me that tools are cheap crap,tools are tools" is just very very IGNORANT and unintelligent of you
use the right size and get some decent high qualty hexes and you wont need to start stupid threads like this any more

Harsh......But very true.

Yeah i work on 1/1 cars alot and I've used cheap tool when i dont have the tool i need.. I have literally seen rachet heads completely twist off.. Then spent alittle longer getting a craftsmen ( legit tool ) and was able to break the bolt loose with alot of pressure pushing on it.

Nonetheless if you got the job done then good.

Plugging the exhaust i just use a paper towel wadded up and pushed into it.

A piece of masking tape over the exhaust port will also work.

I agree. Whenever you ask for help in the forums, be open to any suggestion you get so as not to alienate your possible helpers. The guys and girls on this site have years in the hobby and the experience to know that the quality of your tools can make or break a maintenance job. Just my $.02.

Its because your engine was mounted and overtightened most likely by a machine or way overtightened by some guy in a factory in China. And tools are not just tools! the one dollar section in the hardware at walmart are crap! Buy a nice set of Kobalt tools or Stanley tools. And make sure your using the right measurment system. If its metric, that US size may seem like its the right one, but youll end up stripping it! Good tools should cost a decent amount of money, my set of allen wrenches (Kobalt), both Metric and Standard ran me 30 bucks, theyre a year old and never stripped even the tiniest one! Overall, for a top of line set of tools for working on just about anything should run you a couple hundred for everything of all sizes. But thats the last money you should ever spend on tools cause theyll last ya for ever!

---------- Post added at 1:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:26 AM ----------

and what the hell are you doing with an rc vehicle that your worried about excessive amounts of dust? unless your work area is covered in sawdust or dust in general. Cover that thing in after run oil and you wont have to deal with that!

Tools are not just tools. I got a cheap set of t-handle allen wrenches from Harbor Freight. They all rounded off after the first couple of uses. This is one of those spend a little money now and save yourself some frustration later cases.

Back