can't get engine temp down

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melvyn Madman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok I've got my engine running as rich as i can with out it cutting out, but the temp is still at about 300f any ideas on this? all suggestions welcome

could be an air leak? is your engine sealed ? do you see any air bubbles in the fuel line?

where is your Lsn set at ? what motor are you running? need some more info.....

Last edited:
LSN is flush with casing about 1mm gap, no air buubles in fuel line but when i prime the engine it does sound like there may be a air leak some where, whats the best way to find out where its coming from and how do i seal it? I'm pretty new to nitro and only had the car on its first proper run after breaking it in today

exhaust leak will make it run lean/hot

---------- Post added at 8:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:45 AM ----------

basically the pressure going into the fuel line drops and isnt pushing enough fuel in, in turn leaning the fuel out.

exhaust leak will make it run lean/hot

---------- Post added at 8:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:45 AM ----------

basically the pressure going into the fuel line drops and isnt pushing enough fuel in, in turn leaning the fuel out.

very true!

thanks for the help ill look into this tomorrow i'll let you know how i get on

As for the air leak you can spray carb or brake kleen around your motor and it should either idel way down or shut off when you've found the leak if there is one. Do you have lots of ventilation going to the motor? i.e. holes cut in the windshield? A lot of stock trucks don't come with holes in the body for air movement..

Is that a big thing to cut holes in the body

Is that a big thing to cut holes in the body

If your running a nitro motor then YES!! It's essential to keep the temps down. Electric motors is not as big of a deal but all motors like to be kept cool!!

Theres a 14 part video series on how to tune a nitro engine on youtube by a guys who very knowledgeable about RCs. Vid 12 is on how to detect an air leak and vid 13 is how to seal your nitro engine. I would strongly urge you to watch all 14 parts as theres a ton of good info in these vids but I will link 12 and 13 specifically here for you. (and yes making sure you have proper airflow to the engine and/or motor is critical especially in warmer parts of the year.)

Detectign an airleak:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3WcPoa1DY"]Nitro Engine Air Leak Detection -- Vid 12 How to Tune Series - YouTube[/ame]

Sealing a nitro engine:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncdYL-PBL4&feature=relmfu"]How to Seal A Nitro Engine -- Vid 13 How to Tune Series - YouTube[/ame]

found the leak

the air leak is coming from where the glow plug sits not the actual plug it self but the plate that it sits on, it looks like the heat sink is meant to hold this plate down firmly but it still allowing for loss of air can i use the gasket sealer around this area so long as i dont get it in or around the piston or sleeve?

the air leak is coming from where the glow plug sits not the actual plug it self but the plate that it sits on, it looks like the heat sink is meant to hold this plate down firmly but it still allowing for loss of air can i use the gasket sealer around this area so long as i dont get it in or around the piston or sleeve?

Check and make sure all the shims/washers are there (on glowplug, and under cooling head on top of sleeve), and maybe look for a cracked block. That area should not leak. Something is not right.

all shims are there and can't see any cracks in the area ill try getting new shima and see if that helps

Back