Can boats be used in saltwater?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domination

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can boats (nitro ones specifically) be used in ocean (salt) water or they strictly made to be used in fresh water lakes? I was thinkin of getting a speed boat sometime this summer and i live right on the coast in MA so there plenty of places to use it but not alot of fresh water places.

You can use them in oceans, but you may not find the sea to be calm enough.

Also, the salt water tends to generate a very corrosive vapor that will require some special care after running. Kind of like running a real boat where you need to hose it off with some fresh water and perhaps do some post run engine cleaning and lube.

ok thanks fo the reply SKY thats exactly what i was looking for.

And for calmness theres some saltwater rivers around here that are pritty calm almost like glass on some days.

Gotcha. Your mention of "ocean" water had me thinking you wanted to run in the ocean vice the salt water river type stuff. You should be good to go.

In the past I have run nitro boats in brackish water. As mentioned above you will need to clean every nook and cranny as well as flush the cooling system. Even after doing this expect to only get about 1/2 the life out of the boat. Replace as many of the metal parts with stainless steel as you can.

If you can find a sealed hull design you will be one step ahead of the game.

Last edited:
Back