building the worlds fastest e revo!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK I know little about these brushless systems, but I want to build up a revo with a brushless set up. I plan on using a 1/8 system that can.handle 6s and 25v.

What would work better for achieving Max speed. E-Revo chassis set up or 3.3 chassis/trans. As far as I know. No one makes steel gears for an e revo trans and a rolling 3.3 chassis is cheaper than a e revo.

You shouldnt really need steel gears in an erevo tranny , if you use a 3.3 chassis you will need steel gears and have to lock 2nd gear
You may have to look into a 8s setup if you want really really fast
If it were me I would use the 3.3 setup a mechanical brake and get a xl2 speed control and run 8s , now that would be fast

hell put the castle 1/5th scale motor in it with an MGM speed control on 12s. If you could even get the revo driveline to hold together that would no doubt make some killer speed!

You would be better off with an e-revo chassis and tranny. By the time you get one huge battery mounted to one side and spend all that money on steel gears you'll wish you would have.

Better yet, check out Kershaw Design's e-revo chassis, it looks pretty sweet.

http://kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo-Chassis.htm

---------- Post added at 6:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:49 PM ----------

BTW, a power unit from the X-O1 might not be a bad power choice.

I was thinking the x-01 setup, but don't you need the Traxxas radio and iPod to unlock it? What be better the 1/8 castle monster mamba 2200kv combo or the tekin rx8 & 2650kv combo? Think I'll stick with a 1/8 set up and leaning to the e revo chassis.

I agree with 2revo1maxx, the kershaw designs chassis are the way to go, multiple options on how you can run things and you can get a LCG chassis aswell. A 3.3 chassis fitted with the brushless tranny would work aswell (which by the way have steel idler and input gears, stock) but your weight distribution would be off due to the battery on one side. I don't believe you can get steel shafts for the e-revo chassis either, the plastic ones won't last long at all. Dan over at kershaw also can hook you up with a mount specifically for your application to mount up a 1/5th scale system and also has really great prices on motor/esc combos. I encourage you to talk to him as he is really a great guy to deal with.

You also are gonna need to bulletproof or atleast try to bullet proof those diffs. Aluminum cups, outer housings with the "I-Beam" internals and brushless spec ring and pinion gears. You can also look into doing the LST2 diff mod but I have heard its a PITA to do.

Be prepared to drop some cash on a project like this. Either drop the cash and build it right or drop the cash trying to fix everything that keeps breaking.

My .02 anyways :D

Last edited:
OK. I'm not that serious about building the "world's fastest revo" but am looking for a new project since my big block revo is almost complete. Right now I want a chassis, motor and esc. That kershaw looks sweet. May go with it. Still undecided on the 1/5 set up. Kershaw has some nice deals on combos tho. Will definitely look into it more.

I already have an e-revo on 6s, and it has stupid power with just the stock mamba system. If you're looking for more power and speed than that, be prepared to $pend!

yeah the mamba monster system has way more power than anyone should know what to do with. My maxx is crazy insane on 4s with 30% punch control and -100 throttle expo. That build though has had some rough hits and lemme tell ya it just keeps asking for more!

I'm building my brushless revo right now, waiting on parts to finish the diffs, and I am considering dropping a Hobbywing WP SC8 esc in there with the 2000kv motor. I don't want stupid power in mine, just something fun to drive that doesn't break all the time. I just don't know if the SC8 esc can handle things and I'm also afraid the 2000 might have to much torque...

The 1/5 scale electronics are impractical to use because you would have to spend a tremendous amount of money on it and you would have to use giant pinions and really small spur gears to overcome the much lower RPMs the bigger 1/5 scale motors have. I highest RPM set up you can get for 1/8th scale is the Castle Mamba Monster Max and 2200kv motor on 6S. the 2650 will only handle a maximum of 4S regardless of whether its Tekin or Castles.

I can also tell you from experience that having a kit that goes 65+ MPH costs a ton of cash to fix typically when you wreck it and wrecks will not be uncommon as RCs generally start becoming unstable after 60-70MPH. Will will also have to mod the kit a lot to help it achieve those higher speeds beyond just sticking high powered electronics in it.

Last edited:
I rarely run my embe on 6s , costs too much when it breaks lol
If your not goning for the land speed record get the erevo chassis and maybe go for the xo1 setup, I think youll need to do a few mods and then sort out a good gear ratio and that should be very quick with some good batteries

The XO-1 uses a 1580kv motor with a 6S max so its still not as fast as the 2200 would be unless you are going to be running extremely tall gearing and you have room for the much bigger can. Although it would run cooler...

agree with 2revo1maxx and overide...
Now don't be silly!

Last edited: