Buggy Drive axle/bearing/hub carrier question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badsneaker

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am trying to replace the rear drive axles on MP6. I cannot separate the wheel hub from the axle nor can I get the the axle out of the plastice hub carrier. There is a bearing on either side, which are shot. I have removed the pin which secures the wheel carrier to the axle but it still won't come off. Are the bearings just seized into the hub carrier or something? Or am I missing something here?

If you have the pin out and the hub that the wheel mounts to off, then the bearings must be rusted or stuck to the axle.

Tap on the end of the axle with the wooden handle of a hammer. They should come out with a little convincing.

You could also put the carrier in a vice (careful not to over tighten), then use something like a nail inside the tip (where the Allen screw that holds the pin is), and tap the axle right out. Just gentle taps is all that's needed.

Wow I got one side out. The bearings were rusted to the plastic hub carrier however I have no idea how bearings can bond with plastic. Obviously its been a long time since they were changed. Now on to the other side....

Jeez they were tight! It took a little more than WD40 and the wooden handle of a hammer. Had to use visegrips on axle u-joint, socket wrench on wheel hub. Pulled axle while turning it back and forth. Finally came out. Then I had to hammer the axle out of the bearings. Previous owner must have driven through water and crap or something. Well all done on to the next step on the restoration!

Inferno MP6

Here is the old axle, you can see one bearing still fused to the axle. Also the 19mm hub carrier, which I am switching to the 17mm hubs so I can put some damn wheels on this baby.

Below is the new axle and bearings installed in the hub/control arm carrier.

Here is the buggy, Its an Inferno MP6. Got it on craigslist. The motor was out and no clutch installed. Put the clutch on, got the motor running, O.S. 21 MAX RZ. Notice the how dirty the old air filter is. I tried cleaning the foam but no good.

Below is the buggy with body wheels and wing. I have a new body, 2 sets of Kyosho wheels ordered, new wing and wing mounts, and a few other tidbits. Believe me it looked a lot worse when I got last week. Its coming along good, and I'm learning a lot coming from the simplicity of the RC10GT. The new body is on its way and its being sent to a well respected individual here on the board for a custom paint job. Pics will be posted then.

I plan on taking the buggy up to the track in Berwick for some practice and maybe do a race or 2 by the end of the season.

http://www.teammaximus.com/

And thanks to Lisa and Homer Allman at Bmain Hobbies in VA. They have a great website, super pricing, and a real brick and mortar store! Plus they have a track and have been racing RC for 17 years. They answer the phone too!!

They are the place to go or Kyosho stuff, plus they specialize in 1/8 buggies.

http://bmainhobbies.com

Dude ! you would think that the person that owened it befor you would have cleaned it up a little befor he sold it. Looks like he needs to learn how to take care of his equipment. Thanks for the pictures, and post more when you get her done. Let us know how it goes at the track.

Back