Bought a used air compressor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does a compressor know when to "Shut off".

They have an air activated pressure switch on them.

Air pushes against a spring loaded valve. At the end of the valve is an electric switch that turns off the power.
Sorta like an air valve pushing against a light switch?
Like a relay. Only with air pressure.

Hope that makes a little sense.....

Nice Score Sweetdiesel!

By the way, for some that don't know the diff in an oiled compressor and a non-oiler :

If you look close at the pic, you'll see a pipe sticking out from the crankcase,,that is to drain the oil when changing it. And you'll see 2 humps on the motor, those are "starting/running" capacitors and are necessary to start an "oil type" compressor as it is more of a work horse, rather than a bumble bee gathering pollen (non-oiled type) and requires quite a bit of starting current which is inductive by nature and requires that the power factor be compensated by capacitive reactance, or "negative inductance".

An oil type has a very long stroke compared to a "non-oiler" and builds pressure ALOT faster than a non-oiler, and in most cases, is rebuildable as most non-oilers are not.

Jeep

Just wanted to update this thread with a bench I built over the compressor. It aint pretty but it is strong. I had to rearrange the workshop a little bit to get it to fit. Now the powertools I received for X-mas also have a home.

2744d307.jpg

440cc3bd.jpg

sweetdiesel said:
Just wanted to update this thread with a bench I built over the compressor. It aint pretty but it is strong.
Think you got a nice looking shop bro.
What is it Red Green say's?
"If they can't find ya handsome, at least they'll find ya handy."

My shelves and tables are mostly scrap stuff. Getting ready to make some shelves out of some ply that I had left over from a "honey do" project.