Block Head - Part 1

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
While stripping down old computers at the shop I came across this CPU heat-sink. An idea instantly popped into my head to make a cooling head out of it. And since a lot of you guys seem to enjoy the custom how-to stuff,I figured I'd show you all how it's done. :)

Step 1: Measure the mounting area of another head and then mill that into the bottom side of the heat-sink.

comp-head5.JPG

Step 2: Measure the bolt pattern and drill them into the heat-sink. I drilled the center glow plug clearance hole too. Again this is done from the bottom side.

comp-head6.JPG

Step 3: Working from the top side of the heat sink now,first I calculate how deep I can go and leave a strong enough land at the bottom. Using a 1/4" end mill I plunge out the bolt holes to depth for clearance on the bolt heads. And add a chamfer to the hole the to deburr it and for cosmetic appearance.

comp-head7.JPG

Step 4: I use a 3/4" end mill and plunge into the center of the heat sink. And followed that with a 1" end mill. This clears out the extra material weight. Add a chamfer around the holes and the machining is done.

comp-head8.JPG

comp-head9.JPG

Step 5: The last thing to do is clean it up and check fit. Using the buffing wheel I buffed all the edges to give it a little shine and then washed it with some spray cleaner. Shazam! it fits :)

comp-head2.JPG

comp-head3.JPG

comp-head4.JPG

comp-head1.JPG

This concludes part 1. As it is I'm not satisfied with it. It's bit big and of course blocky. So for part 2,I'm going to add some shape to it. I'm just not sure what I want to do yet. Feel free to post some ideas if you have any,I can make about any shape :D

It may be big and blocky but its still cool. That you have the access to the equipment and the skill set to make it is just damn good fun!

Should definitely wick away the heat! Although, not sure how air will flow "through" it to get to any of the vanes that aren't pointing forward.

Cool work so far!

..... good fun!

You know,machining for a living sometimes gets old but when I can do a simple project like this,the fun does come back :)

...not sure how air will flow "through" it ...

Yeah I thought of that after I got home with it. I can fix it easily enough though. I'll do it and show you in part 2.

Last edited:
I did something like that once for a .12 for a on-road car. We put hols through the head to give the through flow of air. Worked ok I guess, just looked like a block of swiss cheese.

Now what would look WICKED milled around the outside into a circle of other smaller shape! Thats neat looking though

Back