Blew the motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFranz

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So, admittedly I ran my Rustler with oversize paddle tires for the snow. I took the VXL setup OUT and replaced with Brushed Titan 12turn, and, for added stupidity, ran a larger pinion. I figured it wouldn't overheat, it's 25 degrees here! But it did. Smoked it up. Is that possible, or was it something else? Clutch and spur looks fine. ???

Titan motors, and brushed motors overall, like @WickedFog said, you went beyond with it.
I ran my rustler on a brushless system. Max10 sct 4000kv motor. Lowest pinion I had (14T) and largest spur (90T). Overheated the motor, burnt the slipper clutch and transmission case. Those were with 2.8 MT lockup wheels and tires. Way Way oversized
I used that same gearing and tire setup with the stock xl5 brushed motor aswell. Burnt that up.
Thats why I now only stick with stock sizes and conservative gearing.

stripped gear.png

Screenshot burnt clutch.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 200549.png

Brushed Motor electrical burning smell. Gotta love that
Also gotta love a Traxxas XL5, magic blue smoke fried smell. (Reverse polarity on battery plugs, Watch what you are doing!)

And also, since I burnt the clutch and tranny case, I upgraded to the 272R. Same slipper clutch, but higher quality plastic case, and aluminum motor plate. 92 bucks on Jenny's RC at the time. Needs assembly tho. As Traxxas directly is 140 bucks, but all assembled with spur gears and mounts.

Last edited:
yeah, I guess so, but I thought I'd get away with it because it's so cold out (was 20 deg).

Back