Big Joe question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a set of 40 Series Big Joes that I want to unmount from the wheels they are on and eventually remounting them. I know that water ruins tire foams and I'm assuming Acetone will too so I've been looking around for some replacement foams for the Big Joes but it doesn't seem like Pro-line sells just the foams for these tires or any 40 series MT tires for that matter. Id prefer to get closed cell foams so i dont have to worry if I get them wet in the future if I have a choice but Id settle for any foams that will work at this point.

I did find these OFNA 40 series closed cell foams which I'm assuming would work but before I order them and attempt it I was wonder if anyone either had experience using these foams with 40 series tires or if anyone knows where I can get foams that will work as replacements.

Thanks,

Bake them and reuse the foams......or send them to me :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Bake them and reuse the foams......or send them to me :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

That's a generous offer to remove the tires from the rims for him and pay shipping both ways!

There still is good people out there!

Baking them off is the best way, when i change my sct tires, i do 350 for about 7 minutes and the pretty much just fall off.

Acetone is way easier than baking....Everytime I've tried baking i end up ripping one of the tires.

Doesn't acetone destroy foam?

transmited from a mobile communications device

I've read that you don't need to actually actually submerge the tires in acetone, just put them in a sealed container with the tires on some kind of pedestal and the fumes well eat away at the glue. Never tried it though so I'm not 100% sure it would work, I know the fumes are strong though so stand a little bit back when opening the container.

I'm assuming that it does which is why I'm asking about where to buy replacement foams...

I've read that you don't need to actually actually submerge the tires in acetone, just put them in a sealed container with the tires on some kind of pedestal and the fumes well eat away at the glue. Never tried it though so I'm not 100% sure it would work, I know the fumes are strong though so stand a little bit back when opening the container.
I wear a respirator when I'm working with acetone cuz that stuff could knock a buzzard off a poop wagon.That is an interesting theory though and certainly worth a try. I'll let you guys know how it comes out. in the mean time I thing I'll call OFNA tomorrow when they are open and ask them if those foams generally work with most 40 series tires. I'm also gonna call proline and ask the WTF they dont sell just the foams for the tires lol.

To answer that question yes it does, if you have some acetone and a Styrofoam cup put the acetone in the cup and watch it eat the cup away.

I always tried to avoid using acetone at work at all costs, it's terrible stuff to handle.

I just remembered,.. a few weeks ago I absolutely had to stop by hobbytown and they in fact had some foams there for sale

Used the baking method. Worked awesome!! Aside from the smell and minimal amounts of smoke :)

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

Acetone is way easier than baking....Everytime I've tried baking i end up ripping one of the tires.

I've tried the baking and the boiling, baking is the only way I do it now. I've never ripped a tire, maybe you had them too hot...or not hot enough?????

usually not hot enough will cause the tires to rip, if you don't bake them long enough you have to stretch the tire off the wheel, when i pull mine out the glue is usually loose and pretty much just breaks itself free.

I appreciate the input guys I may try baking again but I've already bought the acetone to remove chrome off of a few sets of rims I have and if the OFNA foams will work as replacements then I'm gonna go that route as my wife would rather i suffer with the smell of acetone then her having to deal with the smell of baked tires in her kitchen lmao. If I can't find a suitable replacement foam then i can probably get her to let me try baking them off. :)

You can use Mean Green or Purple Power to remove chrome from wheels. Much safer, no toxic fumes and it won't craze or try to disolve the plastic rims. It works pretty well for removing paint too.