Best way to use batteries, Series or no?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video and you get to the point, which a lot of YT'ers take 20 mins to do.

However, when you buy a 3S pack, it's 3 cells in series. So unless you run 1S, you always have a series battery; albeit, they are match cells.

Also when your run parallel is it does doubles your capacity, but it also doubles your current. In a DC motor, the output torque is directly proportional to the current through the windings. More torque means more giddy up.

great video, here's the link to the SMC article referenced:
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=166

SMC doesn't really explain how the IR is increased but I believe it's a factor of the length and quality of the jumper between both packs. When you have a single 6S pack with all the cells internally welded together, the IR is practically insignificant, however there are many modern race grade cars which only offer saddle packs, though they have specialized in minimizing the length of the jumper to reduce the IR as much as possible so these designs aren't nearly as bad off as the majority dated basher platforms.

If anyone wants to verify the IR is different between the packs, then simply measure the temp of each pack at the end of a long session, the pack on the true negative side is the pack getting worked harder and will have a higher temp reading. It's VERY important to swap both packs on each side of the car after every run so the stress is equal over the long run so both packs wear evenly. This is more maintenance than I prefer which is why I currently run a single 4S pack in both of my cars that I race ;)

Great video and you get to the point, which a lot of YT'ers take 20 mins to do.

However, when you buy a 3S pack, it's 3 cells in series. So unless you run 1S, you always have a series battery; albeit, they are match cells.

Also when your run parallel is it does doubles your capacity, but it also doubles your current. In a DC motor, the output torque is directly proportional to the current through the windings. More torque means more giddy up.
Thank you for your reply. You have added great context to the conversation. Had to find a cutoff point for the arguments.

But the video was how to get 6s into a rig, Typhon in this case.

Entry level intro into running packs.

Hopefully you will enjoy future content!

Thank you for your reply. You have added great context to the conversation. Had to find a cutoff point for the arguments.

But the video was how to get 6s into a rig, Typhon in this case.

Entry level intro into running packs.

Hopefully you will enjoy future content!
Love the video and love that it's concise too. There are some that do an hour on the batteries and it's.... a bit to much. Short and simple is best.

Back