Best way to cut hardbody scx24 bronco fenders

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe crawler

Stand up and be counted…
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Need to trim fenders abit on the bronco. Probably just the flares for clearance….dremille them or score with razor 🤷🏼‍♂️ thanks

Included left and right curved cutters and a reamer. All for $10
https://a.co/d/025a7wa
I actually bought that set. They are useless. The so-called curved scissors aren't curved at all. Just straight blades bent at an sngle, which is useless for going around wheel arches. And the straight scissors were so sloppy the plastic just slides between the blades instead of cutting. I sent them back the same day I got them.

This ain't no curve
Screenshot_20230217-112954_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I just use an exacto, and do a light score with relief cuts and snap the pieces out then sand smooth. I have in the past used curved cuticle scissors, and those work well too.

Need to trim fenders a bit on the bronco. Probably just the flares for clearance….dremel them or score with razor 🤷🏼‍♂️ thanks

I made a quick graphic to explain my process for trimming bodies, I hope this makes sense.

cut guide.png

It ain't the easiest but scoring with an exacto blade and snapping off is the cleanest cut I've done.

I actually bought that set. They are useless. The so-called curved scissors aren't curved at all. Just straight blades bent at an sngle, which is useless for going around wheel arches. And the straight scissors were so sloppy the plastic just slides between the blades instead of cutting. I sent them back the same day I got them.

This ain't no curve
View attachment 160436

I just use an exacto, and do a light score with relief cuts and snap the pieces out then sand smooth. I have in the past used curved cuticle scissors, and those work well too.
Hmm
It's got decent reviews 🤷‍♂️
I don't have that set, but I do have a set of curved scissors that I've used for years now, that works pretty well. I use a Dremel sanding drum to clean up the cut edges.

Thank you guys for the information. The graphic that @Doom! posted is a good bit of info, that’s the way I was going to try…extacto blade 🤘🏻🤘🏻

You can score a hardbody with an exacto and get it to snap there. It does take a few passes. I don't have the Bronco SCX24, but I can't imagine it's that thick. The hood on this hardbody was cut out completely with an exacto blade.
20230217_140221.jpg

You can score a hardbody with an exacto and get it to snap there. It does take a few passes. I don't have the Bronco SCX24, but I can't imagine it's that thick. The hood on this hardbody was cut out completely with an exacto blade.
View attachment 160447
I agree but you had a pretty flat surface and a notch to guide you so you can score it many times in the same cut. I don't know if the fenders will be flat and have a guide like that. They might be curved with no guide making a clean, even cut much more difficult.

I agree but you had a pretty flat surface and a notch to guide you so you can score it many times in the same cut. I don't know if the fenders will be flat and have a guide like that. They might be curved with no guide making a clean, even cut much more difficult.
Yeah, it will be tough. It can be done though. I'd do as Doom suggested and mark the cut line with striping tape regardless of which way I went. Then I would start out with a few very light cuts, pressing harder once I got a good scribe. But it depends on how much material is being removed. If it's just a little bit, I'd probably opt for a rotary file to rough it in. A sanding drum might heat up the plastic a bit and cause it to melt.

Maybe try something like this...
TAMIYA 300074111 Handsaw with Handle https://a.co/d/9WCb7BS
That’s very interesting, I just saw serrated razor blades in a Micro-Mark catalog. Probably gonna order the tool suggested above 👆🏻
At some point today I will attempt to cut fenders…slow & steady with new exacto blade. I will post some pics & let you guys know how it goes.
Thank you all for the advice 🤘🏻🤘🏻

That’s very interesting, I just saw serrated razor blades in a Micro-Mark catalog. Probably gonna order the tool suggested above 👆🏻
At some point today I will attempt to cut fenders…slow & steady with new exacto blade. I will post some pics & let you guys know how it goes.
Thank you all for the advice 🤘🏻🤘🏻

Gotta love micro marks catalog! :thumbs-up:

Back