Best upgrades for Savage X 4.6?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Medium or medium cold glow plug for Savage X 4.6 (in the UK)? Do I have to re-tune if I change from medium to medium cold?

I run cold plugs in the summer os #8 and hot in the winter. You may have to retune

Should I upgrade the servos? What's the best (cheap) ones to go for?

Savox has good ones for decent price. Or hitec are good. I like the hitec 985mg or the savox sc-0351mg. The throttle servo should be fine

savages come pretty tough right out of the box. stay away from metal a-arms

buy an XL reciever/battery box off e-bay. it will have 3 way switch, so you can use a rechargeable battery pack and you dont need to remove cover to recharge them.
a set of steering bell bearings,
cut the tabs off the steering knuckles...sharper turning radius,
stiffer oil in the shocks...stock is 15w i believe,
take the fueltank off the posts, remove the o-rings and replace with small pieces of fuel line,
get a back-up throttle/brake servo as it will go bad fail fairly soon after you start running the truck (HPI will warranty the servo, but this way you wont have to wait for the replacement)
drive the truck for break-in, dont set it on a block n idle it

tuning guide:https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76808
savage FAQ:http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=646397
Does replacing the fuel tank mountings with pieces of fuel line solve the wobbly fixing?

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

If I buy the assembled 3 speed gearbox, is it simple to install (for a newbie)?

Is the K&N air filter worth getting? Make any difference?

No it's not. Also avoid superchargers and NOS kits. The three speed is a pretty easy install although it's just as easy to order an XL transmission and just swap it out.

Last edited:
I did the fuel tank fuel line mod to stop it from wiggling and it works awesome. No more wiggle wiggle

Anyone have the fitting instructions for the aluminium pipe (Savage X 4.6)? I know it's a simple job, but I'm new to this ;)

Anyone have the fitting instructions for the aluminium pipe (Savage X 4.6)? I know it's a simple job, but I'm new to this ;)
Don't worry.. Sussed it out ;)

Best (non-HPI) wheels for Savage X 4.6

What's the best (non-HPI) wheels/tyres? Would love to see photos of everyone's..

Savox has good ones for decent price. Or hitec are good. I like the hitec 985mg or the savox sc-0351mg. The throttle servo should be fine
Is it worth replacing the throttle servo with the steering servo & then upgrade the steering servo to a better make? Is there a benefit to this (is the steering servo more powerful)?

If I upgrade the servos, should I get aluminium servo horns too?

---------- Post added at 2:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:33 AM ----------

savages come pretty tough right out of the box. stay away from metal a-arms

buy an XL reciever/battery box off e-bay. it will have 3 way switch, so you can use a rechargeable battery pack and you dont need to remove cover to recharge them.
a set of steering bell bearings,
cut the tabs off the steering knuckles...sharper turning radius,
stiffer oil in the shocks...stock is 15w i believe,
take the fueltank off the posts, remove the o-rings and replace with small pieces of fuel line,
get a back-up throttle/brake servo as it will go bad fail fairly soon after you start running the truck (HPI will warranty the servo, but this way you wont have to wait for the replacement)
drive the truck for break-in, dont set it on a block n idle it

tuning guide:https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76808
savage FAQ:http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=646397
How easy is it to install the steel ball bearing upgrade steering set?

you'd want to change the plastic first gear with steel only cost$22 + make sure that you get the xl three piece trans.don't know if they all xl's come apart without having to remove casing

you'd want to change the plastic first gear with steel only cost$22 + make sure that you get the xl three piece trans.don't know if they all xl's come apart without having to remove casing
Does the XL 3 speed gearbox have all three gears made out of metal then?

Anyone had any experience with the Power HD DS120M servo? Recommended for use as steering servo upgrade for the Savage X 4.6?

I've added a fuel filter & re-routed the fuel line to accommodate (so it's a little further away from the hot engine too). Will this work OK (as the line goes straight up from the fuel tank & unsure if the pressure is powerful enough for this configuration)?

IMG_1170.png

Last edited:
It should be fine. The tank has a suction tube that goes all the way to the bottom. The XL trans has a plastic 1st gear (built in failure point). I wouldn't go with all meatal gears the plastic 1st gear is designed as failure point so that you don't eat up all the gears should something go wrong. I haven't had any trouble from my XL as far the transmission goes and I running an LRP ZR.32 Spec2 engine. Which is way more powerful than the 4.6 or 5.9

Can I use digital servos in my stock Savage X 4.6 without any conversions? I thought all 2.4ghz systems were digital, but it looks as though the stock SF-20W servo is analog?!

By the way.. Is the SF-20W any good?

I see a lot of people talking about shimming the diffs. Does this need to be done on the latest model Savage X 4.6 & if so, what's involved & what are the benefits?