best truggie to start with?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JATOdriver

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi iv been racing 1/10 trucks and bugies for quite some time and am wanting to brach off into the truggie world and was wondering what yall would recomendi have about 5 bills to play with give are take

Can someone tell me if a CEN Matrix C-1 with .28 engine is a good truggy for 349.00?

try the xtm xt2 i just got one and its awesome theres only a couple things i would recomend get the 457 engine and change the throttle servo to a metal gear servo and also get the 2 speed trans buggy is awesome

The Losi 8ight-T has been one of the best reviewed rigs.........

i was looking at the 8ight T kinda hard i just fighured i would see if there are any others out there , but it kinda looks like everyone is leaning the same way with the losi, thats prolly what I'm goin to get thanks for the help

ok i hate when i dont just drop a subject and go with a plan cause now I'm looking at the RC8T vs. 8ight T, which would yall say is the best, the reason i ask is because all my electric 1/10 stuff is all AE , so if they are what and what with each other ill go with the AE RC8T to keep it all in the family, anyway thanx in advance

The 8ight-T 2.0 is also a lot higher price tag than $500 ($749.99 on amain), which is why I didn't mention it. It also comes with a radio that I paid $239.99 for, which by itself makes up the difference between the two kits. As far as which one is better, at that stage in vehicle the skill of the driver will determine that. It's all in which one you like most and which one your local hobby shop carries the most parts for. Either of these RTR are good, but when you get out there with the guys that built the Pro Kits and are using upgraded servos/ race engines/ etc you're going to be upgrading either of them to keep up anyway.

I'm kinda leaning towards the AE RC8T like you say just for the fact that i can get the rtr at my lhs for under $600 and the carry ALOT of parts for it

I'm kinda leaning towards the AE RC8T like you say just for the fact that i can get the rtr at my lhs for under $600 and the carry ALOT of parts for it

That is the best RTR out there in the Truggy market. Wise choice, CEN truggies are a waste unless you buy the Pro kit and build it yourself.

I still believe Losi makes the most complete RTR packages out there.

Car+kickin' radio+starterbox=:first_place: If you're a good driver that is.

The RC8T is a good choice as well.

the 8ight t has been rccar action magazine's number 1 truggy for 2 years now.

The Losi 8T's are fast and handle great, especially the 2.0 version. I cannot stand the differential design, nor the mix of standard and metric screws.
The Associated is easier to work on and is just as fast in the right hands.
My buddy has 4 gallons on his RC8T kit truggy, other than bearings wearing out like the rest of the market, nothing has broken but one steering tie rod end....he hit the wall at our track running 30mph. Any truck would have broke. All his diff cups and CVD's are still in excellent condition. He is clean freak of a mechanic though.

i like all electric I'm thinkin of goin with the RC8Te kit
what is the best 1/8 brushless motor for the money i runt the hobbywing EZ-run sutup on my 1/10 stuff

You might want to ask this question in the electric forum. I am no help what so ever with electrics. All i can tell you is every Castle Creations brushless system I have seen is faster than needed and very reliable. Searching E-bay you find a LOT of Novak BL systems for sale, listed as just refurbished by the factory...that screams big problems to me. Castle has a system directly for 1/8th buggies/truggies, i know i have seen ads for it. Can't remember the model name or numbers.

I love my XRay XT8. Been pretty durable with a n00b driver like myself. Only damage I have done thus far is bend an axle pin, but it looks like the previous owner rigged one up in there that wasn't right anyway.

well the RC8Te it is ordered it thursday and it came in today here are some pics
RC8Te1.jpg

RC8Te2.jpg

RC8Techassis.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, I love the paint. My buddy's RC8T is turning faster laptimes than the pro buggies are! They are quite the performers. I drove his and it made me realise it was time to upgrade.

got the electrics installed, ganna run it tomorrow ill let ya kno how it turns out

Just picked up a used 8ight T and couldn't be happier. Guys are giving them away dirt cheap, especially old sponsored drivers. Most of those guys take real good care of their car, and have tons of spare parts that won't fit the new ones. By far where I am most guys are running Losi, and the LHS stock tons of parts for it. I'd recommend checking out what the LHS and track seem to running with.