best radio

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy_xr81

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i am looking into replacing my radio gear and i am just wondering what some of you guys are running and what would be good for general bashing.
thanks

MX-3 FHSS all the way :D tons of range and I've never had any glitches. Plus it's less expensive and easier to use than other systems. 18 model memory too.

I'm running a Spektrum DX3S. It has tons of features. I really like it.

I'm still using an older Spektrum DX3 (not the 3.0) and it works great. Only a 3 model memory....but I only have 3 RXs for it...so it works out perfect ;-) I bought it off a member here for under $100 with an RX if I remember correctly.

Get Futaba 3pm fasst, MX-3 FHSS or even a Nomadio React if you want a radio that will not let you down.

If you get a spectrum you have a chance of getting a great radio or a dud.

Whatever you get, get a 2.4Ghz version of it. May seem like a lot of $ for bashing, but it sure removed a lot of headache for me. My area for some reason made me always have servo glitching and have poor range (150 yards or less).

Ever since I got a spektrum 3.0, both issues went away. I can drive farther than I can see and absolutely no glitching. I'm not sure if they all have it, but my spektrum has a built in fail safe if it does go out of range. If I shut off the remote, the throttle will return to the spot it was in when I bound it to the transmitter.

Also, no more long antenna on the xmitter to get bent or broke and a shorty antenna that will fit inside the body on the truck. Both of those are nice things I had no idea I absolutely needed! ;)

I'm using a Spectrum DX3R with SR3100 receiver ,it has a ton of option plus the model match feature .

The M11 is definitely better but way more than you need unless you are a hardcore racer.

They both have the same radio technology in them though.

Radio that we use

We are using the 2.4 Ghz from Tower Hobbies ,it is their brand and so far it has worked great for us on two of our trucks.:D

Ed
S&E Motorsports
S&E Raceway

I just bought a Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz FASST Tx/Rx and I love it! The price was just right at 190.00.

Does the newest version of the Airtronics MX-3 have a faster response rate than the older model Spektrums? I want a Spektrum 3R but the price..... I like the MX-3 and it's price, just need to know if it is "faster" than my current Spektrum 2.0.
I have seen the 3PK with the FASST, it's responds faster than anything I have ever seen but it is also out of my price range. I don't care for Futaba either.

Does the newest version of the Airtronics MX-3 have a faster response rate than the older model Spektrums? I want a Spektrum 3R but the price..... I like the MX-3 and it's price, just need to know if it is "faster" than my current Spektrum 2.0.
I have seen the 3PK with the FASST, it's responds faster than anything I have ever seen but it is also out of my price range. I don't care for Futaba either.

How come you don't like Futaba? Just curious if you had a bad experience or something.

I loved my 3PM and love my 3PK even more when I upgraded. If PK is out of your range maybe look into the 3PM, a lot of the features, lower price point.

The *only* thing I don't like about the Futaba FASST system is the receivers are slightly larger than the Spektrum or Airtronics. Not disgustingly huge or anything but on some rigs with small electronic bays getting everything wired and comfortably fitting a hump pack takes a bit of messing around until you find a configuration that works.

Thanks for the reply. Futaba has a pretty high customer return rate, the majority of their products are lacky quality IMO. The 3PK is the best radio system I have ever tried no doubt. The 3PM did not impress me and feels cheap to me. I don't think the owner of the radio had the FASST system setup in high speed though, it did not seem any better than my Spek. 2.0 with the same servos.
I'm just going to wait and buy either the 3R or the 3PK.
I'd still like to know the speeds of the various 2.4 ghz brands/models out there.

+! for the spektrum. No worry about fail safes glitching or range. I love that radio but ended up two so I have one for in the for sale section (shameless plug)