Battery Chargers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allicedout

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, I'm in need of a new charger (or used) for my 3300mAH NiMH batteries. I've seen some on line and was wondering what it means when it says DC power only. What should I be looking for when getting a charger, what do you guys suggest? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of cash for one. Thanks.

If it says DC only that means you can only use it from a DC power source such as a car battery. Now if you have a 12V power supply that you can plug in then you are golden. I think Fast Eddy sells a couple. Check him out. For me I really like the MRC Super Brain....would have rather had an ICE but had to find the power supply to use at home....the agony of it all.

yeah, some chargers only work off of Direct Current, rather than Alternating Current. In the case of DC chargers, they need to be powered by something that offers DC current as an output. Generally, your options are a power supply (a device than changes AC current to DC current) or a large battery such as a car battery. DC chargers will generally run more expensive since they usually do a lot more and are very programmable. Things that are overkill (IMO) for the average weekend rc'er. Plus you also need something to power it which is even more money. There are however a number of cheaper ac/dc chargers on the market that will do more than just charge and won't break the bank. I've been using a Duratrax Intellipeak Deluxe for a few years now and it has been a pretty decent charger for about $75. It's AC/DC so I can plug it into the wall at home (AC) or hook it up to my car if I'm out and about (DC). It charges both Nimh and Nicd batteries at trickle charge or fast charge with adjustable rate up to 6.5 amps. It also discharges at either 2amps or 10amps, your choice. Add to that, it will even cycle (discharge, charge) a battery once or three times in succession. Pretty good bang for the buck if you ask me. Someday I will upgrade to something nicer but it's still not necessary for me with what I actually need out of it.

Thread moved.

I wouldn't spend $75 for a charger just to charge a 3300 nimh battery, knda overkill right? You can get one for $33 for those batteries. However if you want to go Li-Po, then your out of luck and will have to upgrade later.

I use the Duratrax Piranha Digital Peak AC/DC Charger and it rocks! The only downfall is that it doesn't discharge =(.

i have the same duratrax charger...but it works fine for what i have, and i got it on sale for 30 bucks...so i am not complaining...

I have the charger that Lessen mentioned and I like it a lot. However I now have a really nice Hyperion charger and I LOVE it. This thread is really old, but since it was brought back up I thought that I would mention how much I like my hyperion and how easy it is to us.