Basher Quad Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Well, after transferring all my stuff over to the Flip FPV frame, I had a frame doing nothing. A good friend of mine found this out, and sent me an Openpilot CC3D board!! These things are really hard to come by, and I'm stunned at that kind of generosity to say the least. I already had my old motors too, so I bought the other stuff I needed to build a basher / aerobatic quad. This thing will get beat on like it owes me money, no plans for any FPV gear on this one currently, LOS flight only.

Parts list:

Openpilot CC3D flight controller housed in a kauaicuda case
DJI 2212 920kv motors
Flycolor 30A ESCs flashed with SimonK firmware
APC 10x4.7 props
DJI F450 frame
FRsky 2.4 radio RX
3s 2200mah packs

Should be flying tomorrow since it's a more simple build

P1120158copy_zps078d7357.jpg

Got the FC installed in the case and mounted, turned it 90* to make the USB port easier to get to, and the RX wire point stright back at the RX. Got the power distro board all soldered up, and the + and - wires removed from the 3 of the ESCs and covered with heat shrink as the CC3D only needs to be powered from one ESC. Taking a beer break :D

P1120176copy_zpsfcac6259.jpg

iv been meaning to build one of those, just hard to replace 6 motor with decent ones... will cost a fair bit. more than i have atm :p

^^Yeah, this is true.

Just got it all wrapped up and made my first test hover. I'll reserve judgement until I can finish tuning and then open it up and put it through it's paces tomorrow as far as comparing it to the NAZA, but man it feels really good so far. Much more direct and locked in feeling, hard to describe.

P1120178copy_zpsd7fe1daa.jpg

I changed my motor wiring around to protect the wires better, and fabbed up an antenna mount. Got in a bit of flying in the yard, and a bit more tuning as well. Tune should be really close for tomorrow.

P1120201copy_zps0fde874b.jpg

P1120196copy_zps1f138e45.jpg

Here are my PID settings for anyone interested. I'm going to up the kI value to match the kP value, as right now in rate mode it will start to level out after flying for a ways. Going to set my yaw to axis lock in rate mode also, to behave like a CP heli tail would.

GCS-Settings_zpsa1f5149a.jpg

2 questions...

A. Doesn't "bashing" a heli/quad end in crashing?

B. If the answer to A. is yes, then haven't you built a basher quad already?

:D