Ball Joints and Tie Rod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Anybody know how to figure out how big your ball joints are, I'm trying to buy some aftermarket ones, And also does anyone know if all tie rods in an rc car are the same? Like camber links ,etc.

Every car have different links (turnbuckles) Like different lengths, different metals (aluminum, titanium, steel, plastic) Adjustable vs Fixed or non adjustable

There isn't really any part that is universal to every car, the only thing that could be universal are electronics.

Each car have different specs, sizes, ect.

Its always helpful to list the model, and see what is compatible with that model, or replacement parts. 👍

I think links are measured by diameter or thickness. Not sure about the ball cups or rod ends.

Last edited:
So would it be smart to get new ball joitnts and new turnbuckles from the same company to ensure good performance ?

Every car have different links (turnbuckles) Like different lengths, different metals (aluminum, titanium, steel, plastic) Adjustable vs Fixed or non adjustable

There isn't really any part that is universal to every car, the only thing that could be universal are electronics.

Each car have different specs, sizes, ect.

Its always helpful to list the model, and see what is compatible with that model, or replacement parts. 👍

I think links are measured by diameter or thickness. Not sure about the ball cups or rod ends.
Screws are universal to every car. 🤣🤪

I would go titanium if doing custom links. Strong and no rust.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256057654868?var=556005848659

measure your ball ends with a caliper:
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Caliper-Adoric-Calipers-Measuring/dp/B07DFFYCXS/

This is a fundamental tool that should be in everyone's pit box and is essential for proper tuning

1696385087651.png

So would it be smart to get new ball joitnts and new turnbuckles from the same company to ensure good performance ?
Not necessarily.

If the ball studs / pivot balls are from a high-quality manufacturer they will be made accurately to spec and the brand doesn’t matter.

The ball ends / ball cups are the same: they are made to fit a specific thread size and ball size. Quality may vary but there’s no reason why a Yokomo 5.8 mm ball end would not fit a 5.8 mm ball from Team Associated or vice versa.

The same goes for turnbuckles, which are principally just two screws with their heads stuck together and the other one has LH threads. If the thread size and link length are a match, the brand is completely irrelevant.

Found this thread so I might as well ask my question here. I currently have an aluminum tie rod end with a 2.5mm joint hole and a 2.8mm hole for the rod. It has a loose ball and its wobbling. I wanna replace it with a plastic one but I don't know which one to order since there's only 3mm for the rod hole and no measurement indicated for the joint hole. Help?

EDIT : The ROD diameter is 2.8mm

rod end.jpg

Found this thread so I might as well ask my question here. I currently have an aluminum tie rod end with a 2.5mm joint hole and a 2.8mm hole for the rod. It has a loose ball and its wobbling. I wanna replace it with a plastic one but I don't know which one to order since there's only 3mm for the rod hole and no measurement indicated for the joint hole. Help?

EDIT : The ROD diameter is 2.8mm

View attachment 180392
If you do a Google for "m2.5 link end" you will find what you need. The dedignation refers to the hole size through the ball. You can get them on Amazon or ebay as well. All the major hobby shops should carry them as well. The 3mm hole in the link side will fit a 3mm rod. How are you coming up with 2.8mm?

Anybody know how to figure out how big your ball joints are, I'm trying to buy some aftermarket ones, And also does anyone know if all tie rods in an rc car are the same? Like camber links ,etc.
If you don't have a set of calipers, they come in very handy in this hobby. If it were me, I'd grab a halfway decent set. Make sure they're metal, and at least IP54 grade. A lot of the cheap Chinese ones in the $30 price range on Amazon should be fine, just look at the reviews. If anyone says they use them and are a machinist, chances are they are ok. And you will see reviews like that on many of them. Granted, they won't be Starrett or Mitutoyo quality, but they'll do. If you need to know how to use them... I made this for people who've never used calipers.

If you do a Google for "m2.5 link end" you will find what you need. The dedignation refers to the hole size through the ball. You can get them on Amazon or ebay as well. All the major hobby shops should carry them as well. The 3mm hole in the link side will fit a 3mm rod. How are you coming up with 2.8mm?
If the link hole fits a 3mm rod, does that mean the ball hole is automatically 2.5mm?

Last edited:
If the link hole fits a 3mm rod, does that mean the ball hole is 2.5mm?
Typically, the link hole and the ball hole fit the same size screw. But if you get m2.5 link ends and the hole is also 2.5mm, you can always drill it out if they're plastic, but I can screw an m3 rod into m2.5 plastic ends. It just takes some force. Just make sure to drill it undersize to give the threads some purchase.

What size screw goes through the ball end? Are you sure it's 2.5mm? A 3mm won't go through it? Using internal caliper tips on small holes is never accurate, and will always read undersize because there are small flats on your internal caliper tips.

Last edited:
Typically, the link hole and the ball hole are fit the same size screw. But if you get m2.5 link ends and the hole is also 2.5mm, you can always drill it out if they're plastic, but I can screw an m3 rod into m2.5 plastic ends. It just takes some force. Just make sure to drill it undersize to give the threads some purchase.

What size screw goes through the ball end? Are you sure it's 2.5mm? A 3mm won't go through it? Using internal caliper tips on small holes is never accurate, and will always read undersize because there are small flats on your internal caliper tips.
I ordered these for 2.5$. M3. I hope this works lol

sg-11134201-22110-w8rf3ysehikv7d.jpg

If the link hole measures 3 mm, an M3 thread on the turnbuckle will slide in and out.

For M3 threads, the hole must be smaller.

Back