Axial Scorpion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarant

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Update!!!

Here it is my new favorite hobby. Figured I would try to be the first at something so I snatched this bad boy when it first came to the store.

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

This is totally stock with nothing special, eventually it will have 2 1320 lipo's spead out on the truck (cuz the current battery position sucks) and a few other odds and ends to make it more crawlable.

If you have any questions or comments, Go some were else. j/k.

And yes those are true beadlocks and they came with the kit.

Last edited:
wow. that's a pretty good looking setup! it's funny how you mentioned the battery... as that was the first thing i though... man those batteries are frickin' high up there. a lipo on each axle / edge of the chassis would be beautiful, tarant.

keep us posted as you mod her up. that's a pretty sick looking crawler... the green really works for it. how much did the kit cost?

Very nice rig. I also agree that the battery placement sucks, really raises the center of gravity. other than that I think they are a sweet truck.

Mallanga, you can find them for about $259 shipped, not a bad price at all for a nice crawler set up. But you do need to add your own motor and electronics, other than that they are complete.

I have been thinking of picking one of these up to use as a parts donor for my tuber project. The axles and tranny are real nice and would work great in my project, and the included beadlocks are a nice plus too.

i could see a nice brushless crawler coming to life, here...

uh oh...

this hobby is making me poor...

Looks good, I'm waiting for my Axial kit too. I know you don't accept suggestions but here is mine:LoL:

If you don't assemble your own batteries go to your nearest hobby shop and ask them to make a 6 units standard AA rechargeable battery pack. I have 2700mha Sanyo batteries and works really well. You get a small pack with long life that can be placed in the upper part of the front tranny, here you have a pic.

caixa008-1.jpg

Last edited:
I dont mind suggestion's Kazi, as long as they are from people who know what they are talking about, And you do. I plan on putting a lipo on my front just like yours and the other lipo on the rear pumpkin.

I wanted to get a TLT but they are pretty much gone. So I am hoping this will be the next big thing, the Axles and the tranny are both solid and will be around for a long time.

Thanks Kazi, I was wondering how to mount the battery over the front axle. I have just ordered an AX10 Scorpion and waiting for it to be delivered. Can wait to use it.

I make a full morning session with two packs, I don't have a real nonstop runtime as lot of chit chat is involved in my crawling sessions, little run, beer, another run, some more beer, laugh on a friends crash, more run, watch the nice blond laying on the sand, another beer etc :LoL::LoL::LoL:

I dont mind suggestion's Kazi, as long as they are from people who know what they are talking about, And you do. I plan on putting a lipo on my front just like yours and the other lipo on the rear pumpkin. .

The extra weigh of regular batteries in the front axle is good for crawling, I won't put lippos in my rig as it's very easy to hit the batteries when the car roll over, and lipos are quite sensible to this. :hammer: = :flaming:

Update

I am one step closer to my complete crawler. I have my tire selection, battery position and suspension set-up. All that is left is a final battery choice, and were to add a little extra weight, Which is going to depend on what battery I get.

Here are a few pics.

Just chillin.
IMG_0980.gif

Starting up my little pile.
IMG_0983.gif

Half way up.
IMG_0984.gif

On top.
IMG_0985.jpg

True Flex, not posed.
IMG_0987.gif

As always Q's and Comment's welcome.

Last edited:
I notice that your lower links are red?.?. Are you using different links...longer? If so, what is your wheelbase now?

They are the Traxxas Revo P3 pushrods, The stock ones were not beefy enough. And they are only about 3mm longer so the wheelbase isnt all that much longer.

I plan to have everything deanodized so it will all be silver and not a mix of colors.

ok, I was just curious. I have a Proline extended chassis F-150 body that I was thinking of mounting to a Scorpion (when I get one). I dont' want it to look wacky so I was curious. A T-Maxx WB is 12" as is the AX10 at it's shortest option. At it's longest positions the AX10 WB is 12.6" vs. an extended WB Maxx is 13.12"...only half an inch difference. I think it would still look ok.. whataya think?

You will be fine, However here is what I have come up with.

1st, the Axial has way to much articulation with the stock shocks. So if you want to run the stock shocks be prepared to put limiters inside the shocks. Or just use Maxx size shocks. If you dont there will beconstant rubbing on the body.

I am using Hotbodies maxx shocks, and the articulation is a lot less and my 87Trailblazer body looks good mounted and doesn’t rub the tires at full articulation. It is nice because the crawler is lower and the body isn’t hacked up to accommodate the movement of the axles.

So be prepared to limit the shocks/change them, or hack the body.

Just from my experience.

Last edited:
I am fully prepared to hack the body some. I actually kind of like the look of a custom trimmed body on crawlers.. gives it that garage fabbed look. :thumbup:

tarant- Just curious how you like the dual rate spring setup. also in the pics are those the stock or the maxx shocks....looks good

just so ya know, the last post in this thread was last September.