Axial or something else?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOoSmOotH

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am thinking about taking the plunge but is the SCX10 my only real option? I see Tamiya has a lot of different kits that look interesting but not sure of the aftermarket support. I currently own a EXO terrabuggy that I put together so I really like the Axial kits.

There are many versions of the SCX kits. But also for a more custom look/design, check out rc4wd.com

I think I might have it narrowed down to the SCX10 Dingo or the Wrangler. My LHS carries a ton of Axial parts so I will probably stick with them. Right now I am leaning towards the Dingo kit.

Axial products have substantial aftermarket support so take that into consideration as well. Unique is nice but can be a pain when you need to replace something. I like the more generic\popular kits because you can find tons of stock parts for next to nothing since everyone wants to upgrade them.

If I go the kit route what do folks recommend as far as Motor ESC combo? I think I want to stick to waterproof components.

Most motors will be "waterproof" but it also depends on what you want out of the rig. Torque for crawling or speed for bashing. In both of my scalers i am running 55t brushed motors with waterproof traxxas ESC's on 2s lipo.

yea, it's hard to beat the scx10 when it comes to out of the box coolness and also aftermarket support. axial is a great brand. :)

Yea.. I got other trucks for bashing this would be more crawling/mudding.

---------- Post added at 1:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:46 PM ----------

yea, it's hard to beat the scx10 when it comes to out of the box coolness and also aftermarket support. axial is a great brand. :)

Yea I love my EXO. It had been a long time since I had built a model from scratch and I had a really good time putting it together. I have added a few mods to it as well.

When i get the spare $$$ ill be getting the JKU kit to match my 1:1.

You can't beat the SCX kits for out of the box scale/performance! I like the stock gearing with a 35T motor on 3s is a great all around set up IMO. The blue traxxas xl-5 is what I'm running for now but when I get a little more rc money the Castle Sidwinder 3 is my top choice! Holmes hobby makes a BR-XL esc that is a nice and waterproof but if you ever need service you will be better off dealing with Castle.

For more scale and less performance the Trailfinder 2 is a sweet kit with plenty of options!

http://store.rc4wd.com/Trail-Finder-2-Truck-Kit-wMojave-Body-Set_p_2108.html

Last edited:
I like the brushless/LiPo on my crawler/scaler trucks. I have a Novack Goat on my Mini Rock Crawler and a Fuze 5800kV on my SCX-10. There isn't a lot of water/mud so a waterproof ESC isn't mandatory for me.

Back