AXIAL AX24 XC-1 - 4WS front and back tires turn opposite directions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shizo

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Hey mates,

I'm slowly losing it because i'm just struggling since i started to upgrade my AXIAL AX24 XC-1. I did way better with Deadbolt and Gladiator rofl.
About 10-15 hours and now when i thought i am finished, i figured that front wheels and rear wheels turn in opposite directions.
The front wheels are going in the right direction.
Maybe i'm a noob or just overtired but I really need your help!

Upgrades:
Injora 50T motor,
Emax servo
RXZIXYL Heavy Brass Weights Portal Axle Front for Axial SCX24 front *amazon* (side note, stock screws will probably break when you screw something into this, had to Dremel 2 spots)
some brass covers. hex hub extensions, bead locks tires

The Ax24 has three steering positions (the switch on the right side of the handle near the grip) if you tap the top of the button a few times it will be in the first position which is the crab walk position, this will make the front and rear tires turn the same direction.

Push the button down once and you will be in standard steering mode, only front wheels turn.

Push the button down again and you will be in four wheel steer mode, the front and rear steer in opposite directions to give you a tighter turning radius.

I hope this is what you needed.

You are using two ftont axles. So you will need to flip the diff in the rear one to get it to rotate the right way.

We are talking about them right? I thought it was them being the issue, they are all the same, I tried all of them, I turned them around feeling like I'm special. Tried to play around with the remote. Tried different worm gear. One of them is the original from the stock but I lost track but tried all of them.

20230401_172357.jpg

Last edited:
We are talking about them right? I thought it was them being the issue, they are all the same, I tried all of them, I turned them around feeling like I'm special. Tried to play around with the remote. Tried different worm gear. One of them is the original from the stock but I lost track but tried all of them.

View attachment 162708
Ok, I hadn't looked inside my axles to see how they are setup. With those, it should be a simple matter of installing a front axle on the rear.

Ok, I hadn't looked inside my axles to see how they are setup. With those, it should be a simple matter of installing a front axle on the rear.
Sorry, the axle on the picture is not the one thats on the car.. No the car has the front axe with steering.. sorry for the confusion.

And i totally agree, it should be simple, just a worm drive that should turn in opposite direction or thread that is the opposite direction.
But that's all the parts i have and they are all the same. Sorts of why i slowly wanna go into a closet and cry.

20230401_181158.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, the axle on the picture is not the one thats on the car.. No the car has the front axe with steering.. sorry for the confusion.
I was merely looking at the way the diff is setup. I forgot the worm rides on top of the ring gear. But I went and looked at our C10, and powered it up just to verify. This is hard to explain, but the front and rear driveshaft both rotate the same way. Flipping one axle housing around means the rear driveshaft has to rotate the opposite direction. If viewing it from the trans housing, it does. So both axles should rotate correctly simply by flipping a front to the rear. So can you post a video on YT and paste the link here? It would help to see exactly what is going on.

Wait a minute. Hmm. Post a vid if you can. I am wrong here.

I was merely looking at the way the diff is setup. I forgot the worm rides on top of the ring gear. But I went and looked at our C10, and powered it up just to verify. This is hard to explain, but the front and rear driveshaft both rotate the same way. Flipping one axle housing around means the rear driveshaft has to rotate the opposite direction. If viewing it from the trans housing, it does. So both axles should rotate correctly simply by flipping a front to the rear. So can you post a video on YT and paste the link here? It would help to see exactly what is going on.

Wait a minute. Hmm. Post a vid if you can. I am wrong here.

I can't tell in the vid, but are both driveshafts rotating the same direction? I thought the AX24 came with 4ws.

I can't tell in the vid, but are both driveshafts rotating the same direction?
Front clockwise, rear counterclockwise. Sorry for the bad video, but mounted and dismounted the tires so many times, I'm at the point where i'm careful of what i am doing so i don't smash this thing into a corner.

Last edited:
Oh wait. You have one portal and one regular axle. The portal reverses direction of the axle. You have to use 2 portals, or two regular axles.

Oh wait. You have one portal and one regular axle. The portal reverses direction of the axle. You have to use 2 portals, or two regular axles.
Holy SIR... that even makes sense. top goes counter clock what makes the lower one go clockwise. Else it needed a 3rd gear. So either another portal front???? or a different diffs that is made the opposite way i guess?
1680390416409.png

I really appreciate you WickedFog!!! Thanks for solving this mystery!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought the front originally as a front for the deadbolt, but I'm waiting for parts for the deadbolt so i smashed it yesterday in my new rig. And this killed my Friday night and Saturday.. Well learned something...

Holy SIR... that even makes sense. top goes counter clock what makes the lower one go clockwise. Else it needed a 3rd gear. So either another portal front???? or a different diffs that is made the opposite way i guess?
View attachment 162716

I really appreciate you WickedFog!!! Thanks for solving this mystery!!!!!!!!!!!
It is probably impossible to find a reversed diff gear set. So yeah, you're gonna need another portal.

Just make sure you come back with some video of it crawling around when done. It's a cool little project!

And you are very welcome. It had my head spinning too 😉

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's a bit of a relief to see it was something simple. I had driveshafts and axles spinning back and forth in my head and was so confused, I was like - it HAS to work. Then after watching the vid 4 times I caught the one standard axle. It is hard to see that on my phone!

wasted Fri night and entire Saturday.. screw it i wanna drive it at least tomorrow so i went with, only over night that does not have too crappy reviews. (I know i won't use the rear, but it's only temporary (if it works straight out of the box))
Thanks to everyone who tried to jump in <3

1680394915949.png

Back