atkins diet

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpiracer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hey has anyone used the atkins diet and could you please tell me if it worked for you thanks...

mike:bling:

My dad's diabetic and when was diagnosed he went on adkins and lost probably 20-30lbs.

I tried it and when I went into Ketosis I almost ended up in the hospital (by self admission). I did not enjoy it one bit. For some reason, my body needs sugars. Uhhhh, I think everyone does.

But my wife has done it with great success. Its just not for me.

i dont know about it but what foods can't you eat ?? like carbs and stuff

One thing about dieting is that no matter what you do, your body won't be balanced in a some way, shape, or form. That's something to keep in mine. I'd say the best way to get healthy or lose weight or whatever is to get a health club membership and start lifting weights.

I know it works, but how healthy can it be...Dr Atkins died last year...perhaps his diet has some really bad side effects...

i have been doing a weight lifting program for a 6 monts now but still havent lost weight. its pretty depressing I'm active and I'm not a couch potato are anything I'm 15 it sucks not wanting to go to the beach or pool because I'm fat I'm 195 and my dr keeps telling me to excercise more but i weight lift 3 -4 times a week also I'm a bus boy so I'm walking alot too

Weight training for strength does little to help lose weight. You need to get into a cardio program. Need to get that metabolism kicked into high gear. The Atkins diet can help, but as someone mentioned a diet only goes so far...proper exercise is the key.

Call the american heart association for a diet that turly works for both weight and a good healthy life. It comes down to discipline, hard work and effort.

Muscle weighs more, so while you may not be losing pounds, you are gaining muscle, tone and stamina.

Heres the scoop on the Atkins Diet. Its basically just a low carb way of eating.

The Atkins diet is NOT a diet!!! Before any of you start pulling out your websters collegiate on me let me explain. What most people refer to as a diet is a temporary change in eating habit to facilitate weight loss. Note the word temporary. What Atkins is all about is a permanent change in lifestyle eating. In the very beginning it is very strict and if not monitored closely you can get yourself into trouble like Christian said. Once adopted as a lifestyle change you still have to watch what you eat but you are allowed to eat a more "typical" healthy diet.

One of the myths out in the world today is that if you eat frenchfries and pizza and tons of oily greasy stuff you will get fat. The problem is that they dont explain that its not the oils or grease that is making you fat. Its the carbohydrates in those "Fat foods" thats making you fat. Your body basically operates on the "path of least resistance" theory. Since our bodies can make energy out of carbs much easier than it can protiens and fatty acids, it does. You can look at it like this.....your car will run much much faster and easier if you give it gasoline than if you give it crude oil. While gasoline does come from crude oil there are tons of other things in the crude that make it difficult for the engine to burn and run on. So if it had its choice it will bypass the crude and go with the straight gas.

The problem is that when you give your body way more carbs than it can use it stores it for a rainy day. Your body is a very good pack rat. You can thank our ancestors for that one. Food was not always in abundance "back in the day yo" so we stored fuel for when times got lean. This storage transates into fat. So what the atkins diet does is teaches your body to stop using the easy to come by gas and work a little harder to refine the crude and eat up the fat and use that instead.

The fist step is to starve your body of carbs. This does two things. It cleans out your liver of the many fatty acids you have built up in there and it tells it to start producing "Ketones". Ketones are the foundation to how Atkins woks. Since we all took biology we all know that one of the ways the organs in the body communicate is through chemical messages. When the body senses this over production of ketones it goes into a state known as Ketosis. Basically this gives your body a false sense of emergency. All the sirens are blaring telling our bpdy that times are extremely lean and we have to start consuming all of our "stores" of energy. How does the body store energy? In the FAT.

Once your past that stage you can slowly start to introduce carbs back into your diet. By slowly I mean like ONE slice of bread, one day a week for the first 2-3 weeks. After that you can do ONE slice of bread twice or three times a week for the next few weeks. This is the training process. Althought you are giving your body some carbs, you are training it to still use the fat as fuel because carbs are going to be scarce for a very long time.

Finally after about 6 months or so you can start to eat a bit more healthy. You can add a few fruits and cheat with a desert here and there. And then your off on the Atkins love boat for the rest of your life.

WARNING!!!!!--- The Atkins diet is NOT for everyone. There are some SERIOUS problems than can arise including kidney, liver and heart failure. Please please please talk to you doctor before starting something like this and discuss with him/her all the details of what you are thinking of doing. ALWAYS check with your doctor before starting any new diet or excersize program.

If you need mroe info I will be glad to provide if I can. Please PM me if interested or speak to your doctor.

Rob

My folks are doing the Atkins thing. It's worked really well for them. My dad was diagnosed with high cholesteral, and was at the borderline for developing diabetes. The first two weeks are zero carb, and my dad ran into the thing a couple days into it where he felt wiped out. It pases after about a day.

The basic idea behind the whole thing is the body gets most of it's fuel from fat, and carbs. Carbs are pretty much short term, and the body will always burn them first. That keeps you from burning off whatever fat your body has stored.

Food shopping can start to get interesting, since most of the low fat foods out there are loaded with carbohydrates.

Found out something interesting with the wole thing. If you have to keep careful tabs on your bloodsugar, but want something sweet eat some Cool-Whip. Regular old Cool-Whip doesn't have anything in it. No sugars, no carbs, no cholesteral. The stuff's like fluffed air, or something.

Originally posted by hpiracer
hey has anyone used the atkins diet and could you please tell me if it worked for you thanks...

mike:bling:
It worked well enough to kill the creator of the diet.

Dr. Atkins slipped on ice in front of his Manhattan office and died of massive head trauma. It had nothing to do with his diet.

EB

Originally posted by elburro
Dr. Atkins slipped on ice in front of his Manhattan office and died of massive head trauma. It had nothing to do with his diet.

EB
See, it he would have been fat he would have just bounced on the ice instead of hitting it like a hockey puck.

Back