Am I Crazy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxfreek

Hardcore RCTalk User
Firefighter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
So i traded Around And ended up with a 49 cc Mini quad, 2 stroke.....i have been researching for a couple hours on turning it into RC......Am i Crazy?....I think it would be a Blast to build......i'm just not sure where to start, I'm unsure of servos to use for the steering....i'm sure it will need to be huge to turn the wheels....let me know what you guys think or if anyone here has done it please get in contact with me. will post pics and vids if and when i start.:D

I guess no one has done anything like this.....i dont know if that makes me more excited or more scared.

You'd be crazy if you started making ridiculous speed and wheelie claims like Quaart :hehe:.
But then again you may be crazy anyway.:D

Mythbusters do stuff like this all the time. They take a wheelchair motor and attach it to the steering to turn the vehicles tho. If you can do it awesome, just ensure you have a foolproof failsafe method.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

yeah that would be something you would not want to loose controle of!!! but that would be a really cool idea if it worked flawlesly. me and a friend was discussing something like this a little while back because if you have kids that can't controle the machine on their own then you could bring them around for a safe ride because you are controling it for them.. It would be fun for them and for you cause instead of just watching the kids ride the atv you are also playing with an r.c. at the same time... Let us know how this works out..

You could also use a power window motor. Compact, high torque, 12V, fairly cheap on ebay. Replace the handlebars with a bicycle sprocket and put a sprocket on the motor, use a bicycle chain to connect the two. Just figure out how to hook up 5V drive relays to transfer power to the 12V motor and you could pretty easily use typical RC receiver/xmitter to get that sorted out. Have seen mythbusters do it like that more than once on 1:1 cars. Then you can adjust with different sprockets to get desirable torque/speed out of it.

Could probably get creative with a 1/4 scale servo for the throttle/brake. Might be iffy on the brake and require more leverage so the servo doesn't cook. I know on auto's, MB used pnuematic pistons or screw drive servos for the brakes.

Make sure to figure out a 3rd channel killswitch. The ones made for the baja would probably work as the engine on the 4 wheeler is probably similar. Hell, probably has a kill switch anyway, another relay to ping that from a 3rd channel and your good to go.

Now I want to do it! lol

Last edited:
I have thought of using remote kill switches for the kiddy atvs. I really liked the Myth Buster builds but if you think about it a track ho uses two 4-way joysticks and two walking pedals or levers. 10 servos(they run at full throttle 90%of the time), a kill switch and a wireless camera and you've got the coolest killer robot ever.

you have radio control as a hobby, and you ask " Am I Crazy?" no more than the rest of us.

youtube

seen some on youtube , sure one of them dude's on youtube would give you some input with that , keep us up dated with the build
hope this help's

Back